Firefox 2.0 - problems updating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I tried updating my Firefox 1.5 to 2.0 today and was unable to complete the task. At the point where I'm asked "Do you want to replace it with the newer one you are moving?", I say "yes" but am then told I don't have sufficient privileges to do so. I can't understand as I'm the sole owner and user of this computer and I know that I have admin rights.

I'm using OSX 10.4.8.

Any ideas?

And is Firefox 2.0 worth all the trouble in the first place?

Thanks
Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
First of all, yes it is worth the trouble, so hang in there. It is a nice, if not revolutionary, enhancement of Firefox.

Secondly, perhaps you should just forget about updating. Just delete your 1.5 and download a fresh 2.0. It will pick right up where your 1.5 left off, complete with all your old bookmarks, cookies etc. This is what I did.

By the way, if you are on a G4 or a G5, you REALLY should get BonEcho instead. Firefox is open source freeware, and BonEcho is just a rebuilt version of the stock Firefox code, optimized for specific processors. There are specific G4, G5 and Intel optimized versions. I am typing this response in the G5 optimized version, and I can tell you that it is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the stock Firefox. You can get BonEcho at:

http://www.beatnikpad.com/

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.