• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing Professionally made DVDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
For X-mas I got all my mom's old 16mm home movies converted to DVD through a company in Missouri. They offer an online editor where you can add music, titles, etc., but I thought, "I just paid $2000+ for my MBP. I'll just edit them at home. Surely the software on the computer is better than what they offer online."

Well, I got the movies ack and popped them into the MBP to get to work...now I can't figure out what to do. I haven't had my MBP for long, so I don't know much about the video editing capabilities and need some help with this one. I copied and pasted the contents of the DVDs on my hard drive so I could go ahead and give the actual DVDs to mom so she can enjoy them.

These are the files that I copied & pasted and their file size. All of them were in a folder titled VIDEO_TS. There was an AUDIO_TS folder on the DVD as well, but since they're silent movies it was empty.

VIDEO_TS.BUP (12 kb)
VIDEO_TS.IFO (12 kb)
VIDEO_TS.VOB (40 kb)
VTS_01_0.BUP (64 kb)
VTS_01_1.IFO (64 kb)
VTS_01_0.VOB (5.7 mb)
VTS_01_1.VOB (1.024 gb)
VTS_01_2.VOB (1.024 gb)
VTS_01_3.VOB (678.4 mb)

Judging from the file size, I'm assuming those last 4 are the video aspect of the DVD but I'm unable to import them to iMovie. Is there a way I can convert the files to something that iMovie recognizes, or is this a lost cause?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
The DVD's you got do not contain audio and video files that imovie can use.
What you need to do is use a program like Handbrake:http://handbrake.m0k.org/
to convert the files (use full quality). Then you can import them into iMovie and edit them normally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The DVD's you got do not contain audio and video files that imovie can use.
What you need to do is use a program like Handbrake:http://handbrake.m0k.org/
to convert the files (use full quality). Then you can import them into iMovie and edit them normally.

And you are going to need the original dvds back from your mom so you can do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
And you are going to need the original dvds back from your mom so you can do that.

Not at all - handbrake can open a folder on the hard disk that contains a VIDEO_TS directory and transcode that to MP4 quite happily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appear to not be very accurate lately, but i just tried it and it didn't work? Maybe its the fact that this week I have gotten very little sleep.. way to much work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What version of HandBrake do you have? I have 0.7.1 and when I start it, the first thing I can pick is a 'folder or image'. I just tried it and it worked fine :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
PBG4, I get that way all the time and forget things so don't feel bad! :spook:

Cazabam is correct as with Handbrake 0.7.1 it will give you the option to open a DVD Video_TS folder on the HDD and convert that. Is your Handbrake an older version? If there is no DVD in the drive, it's the only option that shows up on 0.7.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what version I had, but after being unsuccessful the first time, I downloaded the latest version, so now its working.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I DLed HandBrake and tried it and it said "No valid title found" when I tried to open the DVD (I tried both the copy saved on my hard drive and directly from the DVD). Any other programs that can do it, or something I can do to make it work??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.