Reinstalling OS X 10.4.2

Reaction score
Hi I'm having trouble reinstalling OS X 10.4.2 on my Powebook G4

I have recently upgraded to a new MacBook so wanted to format my PowerBook and perform a clean install od OS X before i sold it.

So I booted off the cd and got this message'

'This software cannot be installed on this computer'

I assumed this was because I have install updates and the current version on the HDD was 10.4.8 so continued to erase the disk with Disk Utility.

After erasing the disk i rebooted from the cd again only to get the same message so now i find myself with a blank hdd and no way of installing OS X again.

The disks I am using are the originals that shipped with the machine.

I seem to remember when i first got the PowerBook I couldn't use a bluetooth headset with it until I updated the firmware of the bluetooth module, would this have anything to do with it ?? and if so is there a way i can roll the firmware back??

Any input woud be great :)

~Matt~

M

MacHeadCase

I would think too that the message you got was because of a firmware update that was installed since you have your PowerBook G4.

I'd like to know if the original disks contained Panther or Tiger?

M

MacHeadCase

I am wondering here if you wouldn't be able to use FireWire Target Disk Mode from the MacBook to install the OS on the PowerBook...

Does anyone here know if this could be done? And them once the OS is installed boot the PowerBook and go and get all the software updates from Apple's website? Would this make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You're probably best of asking AppleCare or take it in for a Genius to have a look. I can't imagine that a bluetooth firmware update would prevent the machine recognising the disks.

Just one thing to check though; you didn't accidentally try to use the macbook (intel) install disks with the powerbook (PPC) machine? I know it sounds silly but it's the sort of thing I'd do :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're probably best of asking AppleCare or take it in for a Genius to have a look. I can't imagine that a bluetooth firmware update would prevent the machine recognising the disks.

Just one thing to check though; you didn't accidentally try to use the macbook (intel) install disks with the powerbook (PPC) machine? I know it sounds silly but it's the sort of thing I'd do :D
I was thinking the same thing. A firmware update shouldn't negate the use of your restore/install discs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It should work with the DVD that came with the machine no matter what. I agree, be sure it's the PPC Tiger DVD that came with the PB and not the Intel DVD that came with the MBP.

I have a friend named Matt Brown. Lives in Calif.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.