key combination to switch between buttons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2 Core Duo
Hi,

Back in Linux or in Windows, I used to use the keyboard to select one button of the other alternatively, in one of those popup menus that shows up when confirmation is needed. For example, you install something and this window shows up with a button saying "Agree" and the other saying "Cancel".

My problem is that now in Mac/Tiger I can't find any shortcut or key combination to do that. I can only hit enter if I am happy with the button which is already selected (in blue) or use the mouse to click on any of the other buttons.

Do you know how I can avoid using the mouse for that?

Thank you very much!

xinelo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
tab or the arrows work well for me

OP
xinelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2 Core Duo
tab or the arrows work well for me

well, not for me.

i've just tried again. changing a file's extension in finder, and hitting enter, brings up a popup asking to keep or change the extension. if I hit tab I can see a blue shade around the non-selected button, but the other button is the one that remains selected / blue. if I hit enter, it's always like clicking on the selected button

weird.

well, thanks a lot anyway, skye23415

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
After you Tab between buttons, don't hit Return when the highlight is surrounding a button. Hit the Spacebar instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
After you Tab between buttons, don't hit Return when the highlight is surrounding a button. Hit the Spacebar instead.

What he said. :)

Reaction score
If it's a text document you can hit Command+D if you DON'T want to save the changes. This may also work in other apps but I'm not aware of any at this stage.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good information - I've subscribed to this thread looking to see if the OP's question was answered. What I'm wondering now is this - lets say you have the Applications window opened in Finder and you're scrolling through items using the cursor or tab keys. When you find the one you want, hit Enter and it prompts you to change the name. Hit Space and it goes to the first item in the list. Aside from Command-O, is there an easy way to open the highlighted item?

OP
xinelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2 Core Duo
thanks for the information. yes, it seems to be the spacebar and not return what I must hit. thanks a lot :))

I've also found that if one of the buttons is Cancel (as when asked to agree / not agree, or accept / cancel) you can also hit ESC to hit Cancel.

Good information - I've subscribed to this thread looking to see if the OP's question was answered. What I'm wondering now is this - lets say you have the Applications window opened in Finder and you're scrolling through items using the cursor or tab keys. When you find the one you want, hit Enter and it prompts you to change the name. Hit Space and it goes to the first item in the list. Aside from Command-O, is there an easy way to open the highlighted item?

hey I know this one! :) hit [Command]+[down arrow]

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for the information. yes, it seems to be the spacebar and not return what I must hit. thanks a lot :))

I've also found that if one of the buttons is Cancel (as when asked to agree / not agree, or accept / cancel) you can also hit ESC to hit Cancel.

hey I know this one! :) hit [Command]+[down arrow]

Great - thanks a lot.

OP
xinelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2 Core Duo
3 buttons

However, still a doubt remains.

It's ok for me now when there are only 2 buttons, but in some cases there are more than 2 buttons. For example, I'm using the debugger Komodo now. When I want to close a file which I haven't saved and which I don't want to save, I hit Command+W and then I'm asked "Save changes to file?" and 3 buttons: NO, Cancel, YES.

If I hit Enter -> hit Yes
If I hit ESC -> hit Cancel
If I hit TAB -> nothing happens

I can only hit No with the mouse. Any ideas how to do it with a key combination?

thanks, xinelo

Reaction score
Ok Xinelo I found out:

When changing the extension for instance, You get a box with options "Keep .foo" and "Use .fee" , right?

Now the "Keep" Option is blue and slowly dimming and brightening. If you press TAB, this very button will get a blue outline. Hit TAB again, and the blue outline jumps to the other button (but the first button keeps dimming).

Now you can switch back and forth with TAB (just watch the OUTLIN, not the FILL color of the button) and then choose your option with SPACE.

Ok?

OP
xinelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2 Core Duo
thanks yogi!

that's what D3v1L80Y was saying today at 4.17, but thanks a lot anyway :))

xinelo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.