Finder crashing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Finder has crashed on me 3 times today. Not doing anything abnormal, but it has crashed, and to top things off I couldn't restart, because FireFox wouldn't force-quit. Any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hold down the power button until the computer turns off and then reboot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be a site that supports IE only that you visited caused the problem.

Have one we use at work that won't even allow you to log in except with IE. So I set opera up to announce itself as IE. This site would now allow me to log in, but as soon as tried to download the needed files, or even access certain pages within the site, it would immediately bog down the browser and same as you, even force quit would not shut it down. Tried Firefox and Safari also at this site and all were affected the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Delete the com.apple.finder.plist file found in your user's Library/Preferences folder. Then logout and back in again.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hold down the power button until the computer turns off and then reboot.

I got that, but it crashed again after rebooting. However, it hasn't crashed since yesterday afternoon.

Could be a site that supports IE only that you visited caused the problem.

Have one we use at work that won't even allow you to log in except with IE. So I set opera up to announce itself as IE. This site would now allow me to log in, but as soon as tried to download the needed files, or even access certain pages within the site, it would immediately bog down the browser and same as you, even force quit would not shut it down. Tried Firefox and Safari also at this site and all were affected the same.

It didn't have anything to do with the internet, as I was only on mac-forums.com for one crash, and hadn't even loaded up FireFox for either of the other crashes.

Delete the com.apple.finder.plist file found in your user's Library/Preferences folder. Then logout and back in again.

I'll keep this in mind for if/when it crashes again. So far, so good, though, and it hasn't crashed since I posted this thread. :bomb:

M

MacHeadCase

Nuke, if it keeps crashing after the plist deletion, pop in the Hardware Test DVD in the optical drive and restart holding down the D key. When prompted, ask for the Extended Test. Get back to us with the results.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nuke, if it keeps crashing after the plist deletion, pop in the Hardware Test DVD in the optical drive and restart holding down the D key. When prompted, ask for the Extended Test. Get back to us with the results.

18+ hours now without a crash. Another trick to keep up my sleeve if it happens again, though, thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

We got plenty more of those up our sleeves, nuke.
icon10.gif

Looks like it might have been just a corrupt pref file, then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.