Limewire, Areas Question

Reaction score
if i download one of thoese things like kazza or whatever, can i get any virus's on my mac like i did on my pc?? always woundered might be a dumb question thou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
You could potentially download PC viruses but they wouldn't hurt your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Yes... you could definitely get a virus.

Get anti-virus protection and scan all files with it before running or installing them.

Mac's aren't bullet proof. They just aren't as popular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Get anti-virus protection and scan all files with it before running or installing them.

You are correct in saying that macs are not bullet proof. However, the reason why viruses are not as common on macs does not have anything to do with its market share. Macs are based on a UNIX type operating system. And the way it is designed make it very hard for macs to get a virus. There have been many attempts to infect a mac with a virus, almost all were unsuccessful. The only successful "virus" was not really a virus, it was the leap-a "virus" which required users to download it, and install it on their own.. and to top it off.. you had to give the computer your password to let it install the "virus"

I am not saying that there will never be a virus for mac, but the reason why virus's are limited on a mac is simply not because of market share, its because of the operating systems security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

This is an old argument. Macs are not "bullet proof", but considering that there are no known OSX viruses loose on the Web, your vulnerability is extremely limited.

Scanning all files is not necessary, don't bring your Windows paranoia with you to the Mac experience. I have encountered many Windows viruses via e-mail and simply delete them via Secure Delete to make sure they are gone.

The argument about popularity vs System security has already been addressed, and I believe it is a bit of both. Apple is MUCH more proactive about system vulnerabilities, as they are exposed, than MS, who tends to be reactive.

All that being said, I have been running without an AV app running on my Mac for years and have never run into an issue. The ONLY real reason to invest in one is to scan e-mails to keep from passing nasties on to your PC using friends.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.