"Other ?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
what is the "Other" infomation on your ipod ? i only have music and videos on my ipod, why is "other" taking up about a 1GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Other is stuff like Album Artwork, Contacts, and the iPod file structure itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Other is stuff like Album Artwork, Contacts, and the iPod file structure itself.

I thought other was things you put on your ipod through finder.. I have like 5gb of other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It can be that as well. I n his case he said he only had music and videos, so I assumed he had not loaded anything else on there. When you put anything on the iPod, even with iTunes, and then look at it via iTunes there is always some other there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I think a big component of "Other" is album artwork. "Other" has always been a very small component of my iPod. Then, after reading about all the cool album artwork capabilities of iTunes 7, I went out and updated all my artwork (in iTunes, go to Advanced, Get Album Artwork, and it will seek out and download everything that is has artwork for that you have in your library, even if they are CDs of your own that you ripped versus stuff you bought from iTunes). When I next updated my iPod, I noticed that it updated for a LONG time, and then, "Other" was suddenly a pretty large category. So, I am guessing that this is the major piece of "Other" at least for those of us who pretty much use our iPods for music. Perhaps for video, there is more to "Other".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes 7 changed how artwork was handled. Before iTunes 7, artwork was embedded in the file itself, so it never took up space as "other". With iTunes 7, the artwork is referenced as an external file, hence the increase in "other".

Reaction score
iTunes 7 changed how artwork was handled. Before iTunes 7, artwork was embedded in the file itself, so it never took up space as "other". With iTunes 7, the artwork is referenced as an external file, hence the increase in "other".

So then please explain how to remove it. I just transferred my itunes to my new computer and I have about 3 gigabytes of other, that wasn't there before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So then please explain how to remove it. I just transferred my itunes to my new computer and I have about 3 gigabytes of other, that wasn't there before.

The problem is that the iPod is not tied to that computer/iTunes. I've seen this before, but not constantly. The new machine/iTunes Library doesn't recognize everything on the iPod as what it is for whatever reason. Your best bet is to just reformat the iPod and reload the music from the new machine/account.

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of other. Here is how I did it. I had 3 whopping gigabytes. I went to Itunes. Connected my Ipod. Went to the status bar or whatever you call it that shows your Ipod. I clicked restore and went through the process. After the process was done I re-synced my Ipod and viola! The 3gb disapeared and I was left with only a pesky 50.2mb of other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Could it also be Apps included in Other?

I know that Music is blue, Videos is purple, photos is yellow, and other is orange. Are there any others? or are those the only sections?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.