• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Well it had to happen sometime

T

todd51

I dropped my beloved MBP. Bad part is that I dropped it, good part is that it didn't get hurt, and if I had dropped it 2 seconds earlier i would have been on a hardwood floor instead of carpet. I dropped it a good 5 foot off the ground :eek:neye:

Also glad it landed pretty much flat on the ground, it didn't land on the side or the edge.

Good to know they are somewhat durable! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Yikes! It happens to the best of us. Last summer while I was on deployment someone caught the power cord on my laptop and it yanked from my rack to the ground and landed at an angle, with the screen open (~6' drop). Absolutely nothing happened, thank goodness. I was scared, because earlier in the deployment the guy that sleeps across the aisle from me dropped his HP and broke his screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yikes! It happens to the best of us. Last summer while I was on deployment someone caught the power cord on my laptop and it yanked from my rack to the ground and landed at an angle, with the screen open (~6' drop). Absolutely nothing happened, thank goodness. I was scared, because earlier in the deployment the guy that sleeps across the aisle from me dropped his HP and broke his screen.

I had a similar event happen. Had my G4 TiBook parked on my desk (about 3 1/5 feet).. Casually walked by to get a beverage.. Foot caught the power cable and it crashed down.. The case on the left side near the screen took a crack, and a small dent on the underside.. But performance wise, it still works perfectly.

Just over a month of owning it (~Nov. 05), the ex-gf knocked it off my bed (about 2 feet) and the wifi card took most of the damage.. Cracked but still works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
One should always be aware of stray cords... just one more reason for a MBP with Mag-safe power adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
One should always be aware of stray cords... just one more reason for a MBP with Mag-safe power adapter.

heh... i was just complaining about that in my "things you dislike thread" the reason being because my roomate snagged his 12" PB cord and broke his screen... I know what can happen on a first hand account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The mag-safe power cord has saved my macbook a couple of times from rampaging children in the house (it's more common than you'd think). The motion detector to shut off the drive in mid-drop is also a wonderful addition for this sort of thing; even if the screen dies the drive should be OK so a new machine will get everything back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
my war story...

I was unpacking my trunk for a weekend retreat with campus crusade. I had just driven behind 2 other cars in our caravan at like 55 mph for 2 hours so I was just burnt out(I generally drive 80). I was just stupidly unloading things and as I grabbed my laptop bag it flipped open, my ibook flies out and begins hurling towards the ground. Well, it hit the ground and I paniced, because I keep my ibook on sleep most of the time. Well there was a little bit of case damage and the cd drive popped open. That was it! A 5 foot fall to tar and everything still works fantastically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.