hard shell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
ok, i am browsing around for a hard shell for my mac book pro. Now i really like the white macbook's and was wondering if any one know of a hard shell in white or something cuase the only one i can find is this one by Speck ( http://www.speckproducts.com/15mac-seethru.html ) and they only have clear and red. And i don't want either of those colors. So if anyone knows of a hard shell like this in white preferably but any other colors would be great :p
thanks

Reaction score
Hard shells for notebooks are not common at all. I don't think anybody else makes them for anything else. They sure are cool. I wish they were a tiny bit lighter or I might get one.

Reaction score
I just got the Speck (red) for my MBP and it is AWESOME. Hardly any change to size/thickness of the MBP, and only a little change to the weight. It looks very good, and does a great job protecting the the computer.

The only negative is that the plastic shows dust and fingerprints much more easily than the aluminum of the MBP itself. But from more than a foot away, it looks like a very unique candy apple red notebook. Now if only I had a Ferrari to match. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Very cool. I have something similar for my RAZR that does a great job of protecting it from dings and scratches. I'm seriously considering this as well. Tough choice between the red and the clear though. I kind of like the silver.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, where did you get it from? cuase on new egg its only 36 and then on the speck website its 50 :p but i was wondering how this could work they say that it works on the mbp cd and c2d but i thought that the cd and c2d had different port configurations so how could it fit on both? and what macbook pro do you have?

Reaction score
It was a gift from my wife. I just checked and she said she bought it directly from Speck. I couldn't speak to the difference in price between Speck and New Egg. Since I doubt my wife knew which MBP version I own, my guess is that they make them to fit the machine needing the largest port "window."

My MBP is the 2.33 C2D.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks a ton man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
How does it deal with heat? Does it make the computer warmer, does it warp when exposed to the heat, etc?

Reaction score
I've only been using it for a couple of days. It hasn't warped and it doesn't feel any hotter.

I've been on the computer for about an hour, web browsing and working in Aperture. Here are my temps:

temps.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've only been using it for a couple of days. It hasn't warped and it doesn't feel any hotter.

I've been on the computer for about an hour, web browsing and working in Aperture. Here are my temps:

temps.png

Todd - do you have any problems with the back plastic piece catching the bottom plastic piece at the hinge and dislodging the clips at the back?

I just got mine and although it seems to fit like a glove, it just keeps getting knocked off each time I open my screen.

If I fiddle with it a bit, I can get it to work smoothly for a little while, but then, it will just catch again after a little bit.

Reaction score
Mine was temperamental at first. It kept making a clicking noise when I opened it. I finally just gave it a nice hard shove once and gave the plastic a chance to ... ya know ... "wear in" properly.

It's been working great ever since. Just make sure you've clicked all the contact points. Mine was unreliable at first because I'd assumed the silly piece of paper with instruction diagrams was meant for Lesser Beings. Once I went back and actually made sure everything was as it was supposed to be, it was snug as could be.

Hope this helps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine was temperamental at first. It kept making a clicking noise when I opened it. I finally just gave it a nice hard shove once and gave the plastic a chance to ... ya know ... "wear in" properly.

It's been working great ever since. Just make sure you've clicked all the contact points. Mine was unreliable at first because I'd assumed the silly piece of paper with instruction diagrams was meant for Lesser Beings. Once I went back and actually made sure everything was as it was supposed to be, it was snug as could be.

Hope this helps.

LOL - I thought the same thing about the instructions. Turns out, even though it is extremely close at one point near the hinge, after I reseated it, it seems to be OK. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
No prob. Glad it is working for you. Did you get the red one? We need some kind of "Apples are Red" club. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ooh, red, yeah, I want it, got to have it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No prob. Glad it is working for you. Did you get the red one? We need some kind of "Apples are Red" club. :)

No, I went with the clear. It was a tough choice. I like the looks of the red, but thought it might stand out too much in a crowd. It might attract unwanted attention from would-be thieves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" macbookpro - 2.33ghz - 2gb RAM - 120gb hd
not sure if anyone is still watching this thread or not...but i'm considering grabbing one of these shells and was wondering if you guys still feel the same about this product after owning it for a little while?? just curious if it is a worthwhile investment or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I was at the Apple store yesterday and saw them there. They look pretty nice. Just letting you guys know that you can purchase them at your local Apple store. : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
toddG, what are all those strange menu icons??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.