Bad things about the powerbook

OP
G

goodVSbad

Just bought mine and the only complaint is how much I have to spend on the software I want/need. Other than that I love everything about this machine. Everyone always says it and it's completely true: it is a sexy beast.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I can say something about PowerBook heat. It has yet to bother me. Sometimes after long use, it gets a little warm, but no where near unbarible or uncomfortalbe....it's what I expect from a laptop this powerful and small built in an alluminium casing....it's not bad at all...and the fan is extremely quiet...at least mine is...especially when I'm listening to music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
its actually really nice during the winter to have it sittin on your lap

OP
J

joerod

bad thing about powerbook? absolutly nothing, it runs great, has everything you need wireless, superdrive, i got a 17" screen, it even looks great, what more can u ask for? 1 thing that sux and its not even a hardware, there is not one good irc client for mac. someone has to port over mirc.

OP
S

StarManta

Bad things about the TiBook: No USB 2.0, no Bluetooth, Airport Extreme is not default. Small things.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The Ti powerbook was the first revision. The current revision has all of those things/ You just have to request them on purchase (BTO).

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

bad things about powerbooks

Negatives about the 12inch
-no backlit keyboard optional
-media drive on the side
-the keyboard seems a bit too small for my liking
-the heat comes from the back

Negatives about the 15inch
-the computer gets wicked hot when burnign a cd or playing a DVD

Negatives about the 17inch
-too big for portability

Negative about Powerbook in General
-attracts too much attention
-the powercord is nice except for the big ass ac converter which is a pain to fit in my briefcase

OP
J

joerod

IndianPowerbook said:
Negatives about the 12inch
-no backlit keyboard optional
-media drive on the side
-the keyboard seems a bit too small for my liking
-the heat comes from the back

Negatives about the 17inch
-too big for portability

-the powercord is nice except for the big ass ac converter which is a pain to fit in my briefcase

I take my 17 inch everywhere not too big at all, a little bigger then a leagal size folder. trust me i'll live w/ it, its worth it when im on a plan or long trip watching wide screen movies or having so much space to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MBP, 2GB, 7200 100GB disk | Dual 2Ghz G5, 1.5Gb RAM, 20" cinema | 15" 1.25 PB / 4Gb iPod Nano
IndianPowerbook said:

To be honest I have never noticed, I rarely am working from CD's and I dont tend to burn discs on a daily basis.

IndianPowerbook said:

I don't find the Powerbook attracting that much attention, most poeple view them as just another laptop in a library or office full of them. There are plenty of other silver laptops around that look similar.

The powercord for me is wonderful, moving from pc based laptops where the power supply convertor is nearly twice as long as the apple version.

OP
A

adam80

No problems if you go with the Rev. B 12"ers, they solved all the problems that people with the Rev. A models were complaining about, like the heat issue.

OP
S

StealthMode

The heat isn't an issue for me either, it gets a little warm, but I live in MN, so it's nice an toasty at night in bed. :D Well, in winter that is...

OP
G

gitboxnat

I got my Powerbook in mid-march. It's a good piece of techology however there are some problems with it I have to admit:

-gets warm, and hands start to sweat
-programs exit w/o any reason
-experience a few kernel panics -_-
-msn messenger keeps disconnecting .. have no clue why
-pc is faster than mac.. (soory, but it's true)

Even with these problems, I still love the Powerbook. It's still good, and even with all my friends hating me for having one. I know they're just jealous, hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
gitboxnat said:
-gets warm, and hands start to sweat
-programs exit w/o any reason
-experience a few kernel panics -_-
-msn messenger keeps disconnecting .. have no clue why
-pc is faster than mac.. (soory, but it's true)

1. hands sweating? how long are you using it at once that your hands are sweating?
2. Try repairing permissions that is not very common
3. Had mine since July 03 without a single panic....Repairing permissions should help and do a file system check (see this thread
Troubleshooting )
4. MSN Messenger is terrible.....try using Proteus or Fire
5. Depends on what you are comparing it with...PCs are better for games...Macs are better for graphics/video etc

OP
C

crazeazn

so far the few problems ive had with my powerbook 12inch is the following:

1. like some1 mentioned, it gets HOT, too hot for lap
2. i busted the power adapter plug. the end design is terrible...
3. mirroring issue/ machine has to be in standby with monitor plugged in then i can run at a higher res than 1024x768
4. thats it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
5. Could Really Use A Right Click Function

Control+Click! Works the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.