Newbie here: Qs about Front Row, the system & app installation?

Reaction score
I have read several references to Front Row but have yet to use it. Is it the DVD player that comes up when you put in a DVD or something else. Sorry if this sounds obvious.

What is the equivalent of System where you can see things like ram, hard drive size and what is in use?

App installation: I know that I am supposed to drag the icon to the applications folder but which is the installation folder that I should delete later. I have ended up deleting the apps by accident. How can you tell?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have read several references to Front Row but have yet to use it. Is it the DVD player that comes up when you put in a DVD or something else. Sorry if this sounds obvious.

What is the equivalent of System where you can see things like ram, hard drive size and what is in use?

App installation: I know that I am supposed to drag the icon to the applications folder but which is the installation folder that I should delete later. I have ended up deleting the apps by accident. How can you tell?

Thanks

1) Front Row is the menu that comes up when you hit the MENU button on your remote control.

2) Apple Menu -> About this Mac (or System Profiler in Utilities folder)

3) In some cases (they usually make it obvious), you usually drag the icon to your Applications folder. In other cases, you run an Installer program. You can delete the icon from your Applications folder, but that will not always remove all the supporting files (libraries, user profile settings, etc). The best way to completely remove an App that I've found is a little program called AppZapper (http://www.appzapper.com).

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I havent used the remote with the macbook, that's probaby why.

Reaction score
1) Front Row is a media center interface. Read about it here. The remote is the only way to access Front Row (as of now, this will probably change in Leopard).

2) Actually I think what you want is the Activity Monitor to show you what is CURRENTLY in use and how much etc. You can find it in the Utilities folder, or just click the little blue magnifying glass in the top right and enter "Activity Monitor". It will show up.
System Profiler just gives you info on the computer that won't change, like total RAM, RAM type & manufacturer, and all other hardware info.

3) Whatever is INSIDE you applications folder is currently installed and available. Everything else isn't.
Apps leave some residue which you can remove with AppZapper, but I woudln't bother too much if you don't want to, as this is very little data. Apple would've taken care of it, had it been an issue, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The Apple Remote is NOT the only way to access Front Row. You can use the keyboard completely to access and control it. Enter Front Row by pressing Command-Escape. Use the arrow keys, Enter works as the play button, space bar for pause, escape works for the "back" menu button function.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.