I can't update my site even using Cyberduck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Okay, what gives here? I can't update my site even with cyberduck. The only time my updates have worked were from my PC. Why can't i get it to work on the Mac? I'm doing something really simple wrong. I went thru all my files in my site folder and I can't see the old version, so why won't the new version take it's place? I'm not getting any error messages at all and I'm totally frustrated.

TIA everyone! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm confused. Can Cyberduck connect to the remote site and see & navigate the folder structures?

Perhaps this is a connection problem. Many sites demand you connect to ftp.yoursite.com instead of just yoursite.com.

One problem I've seen mentioned and had trouble with is the "Connect Mode". Try changing that to Passive or Active. Which ever is the opposite of the current setting. You'll find that under the FTP preferences in Cyberduck. If you already have your site bookmarked, then Edit the bookmark via the Bookmark menu.

I have no idea what you mean by "can't see the old version".

The way CD works is you drag files from a folder on the Mac to a folder on the CD listing.

Reaction score
I went thru all my files in my site folder and I can't see the old version, so why won't the new version take it's place?

Does the above mean that you're trying to update your site with new assets replacing old ones, but can't and when you navigate your site structure using CyberDuck the old assets appear to have been deleted so you can't figure out what's stopping the new assets from uploading?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. Can Cyberduck connect to the remote site and see & navigate the folder structures?

Perhaps this is a connection problem. Many sites demand you connect to ftp.yoursite.com instead of just yoursite.com.

One problem I've seen mentioned and had trouble with is the "Connect Mode". Try changing that to Passive or Active. Which ever is the opposite of the current setting. You'll find that under the FTP preferences in Cyberduck. If you already have your site bookmarked, then Edit the bookmark via the Bookmark menu.

I have no idea what you mean by "can't see the old version".

The way CD works is you drag files from a folder on the Mac to a folder on the CD listing.

I saw the active/passive mode and have not changed it, but for who knows what reason, the new assests loaded a few minutes ago. I don't know what I did differently, but I'm sure I did the same thing about 6 times (yeah, expecting a different result from the same action is a bit stuuupid, I know). "can't see the old version" I meant the files had been deleted on my local server/HD. I don't know why, but I can't drag files into CD. So maybe how I'm accessing my local site files is part of the prob?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the above mean that you're trying to update your site with new assets replacing old ones, but can't and when you navigate your site structure using CyberDuck the old assets appear to have been deleted so you can't figure out what's stopping the new assets from uploading?

That's exactly what I meant, thanks. :)

How long should it take for the new assests to actually be available on the site? Maybe that's what the prob was? It shouldn't take hours, though, right?

Reaction score
Have you just started using CD? The upload time is variable, depending on what you're uploading, your connection etc.

I actually don't know how to upload using FTP, I use an FTP program purely to delete old assest from my ISP's server. I use the website creating software to upload to my site.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep, I just got it today. I couldn't get ANYTHING to load using DW on my Mac. It went fine on the PC/windows desktop though. It's making me a bit nuts trying to figure this out. It seemed like I had a huge victory about an hour ago, b/c I got 2 pages loaded. I've been working on the site for the past hour now though, and I can't get any of the new stuff to go through. I know I'm just doing some simple thing wrong and d*mn if I can't figure it out. I need a little Mac fairy godmother to come sit on my shoulder and save me from myself. hehehe. I've got the next best thing I guess which is this forum. :)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I figured it out...

I went thru CD and deleted every thing off of the remote server. I think there was an older index page on there that was loading. And I emptied the cache on my computer. And then resent the site thru DC. Although now, my site is now down and I "don't have permission/access on this server" I think I figured out the first part of the prob, lol.

coming soon - new thread on why I don't have access to this server. :) No, really, I'll try to figure it out on my own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.