Worth getting a G4 or G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I currently have two Macbooks, one I got for my girlfriend which is a Core Duo, and my own personal Macbook which is a newer Core 2 Duo. When I'm home I use my macbook at my desk attached to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but I find that I often want to get up and move around with it, which is kind of a pain since I have to disconnect/reconnect everything whenever I want to move from my desk. I had to get a laptop though because of school and the need for portability, but I would still like a desktop also. I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on a new computer, since I just bought two macbooks, so I was thinking of getting a used G4 or G5 Mac Mini or iMac. Is it worth getting a G4 or G5 processor now that the intel processors have been released? Are they going to become obsolete soon? As far as processing power, I am not a gamer, I usually just surf the net, burn CDs and DVDs, do some image editing and web site design.. so I don't need a super fast processor, but it would be nice to have everything smooth and fast like on my macbook. Any input on this would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
They didn't make a G5 Mini, just a G4. The mini is basically an iBook/MacBook, without the laptop case. At this juncture, an Intel-based Mac Mini would be a better choice. If you do get a mini, get it maxed out on RAM, as the case is a real PITA to get open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i have a intel mini, the 1.83 ghz one witha gig of ram and it is pretty nice, at times i wish it had mor horsepower, but its allright

P.S. i am haveing de ja vu typing this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would go for the G5 imac, it will be more useful to you and will last you longer then the G4 Mini, plus its significantly faster.

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about longevity for the G5 processor? How long will it be useful before software begins being produced for the intel only platform? I actually found someone who I go to college with who is willing to part with a G5 iMac for $500.. I think it is a 17" but he wasn't sure. It is upgraded to 1 gig of RAM and he says it is in mint condition. Is it worth it or should I just bite the bullet and buy a newer intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I think that the G5 has a lot of software life left in it. The majority of Macs out there are PPC chips today. Any manufacturer putting out new software for Macs is not going to ignore the majority of their addressable market. It doesn't make economic sense.

I see new software for the PPC chips being available for several years to come, until the majority of Macs are Intel, and it turns out to be more work than it is worth in revenue for them to produce PPC versions. I think you will be OK on a PPC Mac (G4 or G5) for some time to come.

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the great replies, I have decided to buy the G5 iMac. BTW it is a 20" screen and it looks gorgeous. Hopefully it will last me a long time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you didn't buy that imac for $500... well.. that would have been stupid.. Thats a GREAT deal IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I wish I could have a 20" iMac for $500. Sweet deal. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.