Quick and easy question...

Reaction score
Hello...Just got my new macbook and I'm trying to figure some things out...

1. When I click on the x in the top left corner of a program, does it close the program completely? Or do I have to go to the menu at the top...For example...Click on Firefox, then Quit Firefox?

2. What is the command that makes all of the windows viewable at the same time? And does the tab button work like Windows and allow me to switch to open applications (haven't tried it yet)?

3. How do I maximize a window to full screen? I press the plus button and it doesn't expand the program to take up the whole screen. I know I can stretch it, but is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
1): the x will minimize, going to the top and quitting works.

2): F9 will show all open windows

3): To maximize a window you just drag the window from its bottom right corner.

OP
T
Reaction score
Also, how do I go about installing a USB removable drive? My macbook doesn't seem to recognize it when I plug in the USB cable...What can be done to solve this issue?

Reaction score
Your USB drive must be formatted for the Mac OS or, if you want to use it with your Windows PC also, formatted Fat32. Most modern drives are formatted NTSC. Your Macbook has a nice disc formatting utility built in to do this for either format (Mac calls Fat32 something like "DOS format"). See Disc Utility under Applications/Utilities.

If you plug a NTSC formatted drive into USB Tiger is supposed to recognize it as a read-only drive, but I have not gotten that to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
The Alt-Tab function in Windows is equivalent to the Apple-Tab (Function-Tab) function in Mac OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your USB drive must be formatted for the Mac OS or, if you want to use it with your Windows PC also, formatted Fat32. Most modern drives are formatted NTSC. Your Macbook has a nice disc formatting utility built in to do this for either format (Mac calls Fat32 something like "DOS format"). See Disc Utility under Applications/Utilities.

If you plug a NTSC formatted drive into USB Tiger is supposed to recognize it as a read-only drive, but I have not gotten that to work.

That would be NTFS.... NTSC is a standard for TVs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1): the x will minimize, going to the top and quitting works.

2): F9 will show all open windows

3): To maximize a window you just drag the window from its bottom right corner.

Minor corrections...

1) The close button closes the open window, it does not minimize it - that's what the minimize button does. To close the actual program, either select quit from the program menu or hit Command (Apple) - Q to completely close the application.

3) The maximize (plus or green button) will maximize the window to its last largest state. Once you click the bottom corner and bring it to what you prefer as the maximized state, the maximize button (in that specific program) will return to your previously set maximum.

Reaction score
The Alt-Tab function in Windows is equivalent to the Apple-Tab (Function-Tab) function in Mac OS.

Minor correction:

Apple-Tab will cycle you through open applications; Apple-~ will cycle you through open windows of a single application.

So if you had these windows open:
1. Safari -- mac-forums.com
2. Safari -- 9x19mm.com
3. Safari -- Google.com
4. Mail
5. Address Book

Pressing Apple-Tab will cycle you from Safari to Mail to Address Book.
Pressing Apple-~ will do nothing if you're in Mail or Address Book; it will cycle you from the mac-forums.com window to the 9x19mm.com window to the Google.com window if (any) Safari is your active window.

It is usually much easier to hit F9 and choose the window you want.

Note that none of these methods will open any application/window that you've minimized to the Dock. The only way to open one of those is to click on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I think there is a minor correction due regarding the maximize button. I realize that it restores the window to the previous maximum window size in some programs, but other programs look at the content in the window being resized and automatically makes the window the most appropriate size for the contents. Take Safari for example: click the green maximize button on each page you visit, and the window will be re-sized to allow a window size with no side-to-side scrolling necessary. Try it on a few different pages, you'll see what I mean. I'm not sure what other programs work in this way, however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.