replaced hard drive

Reaction score
I pulled my sata drive from a imac g5, thinking I would expand storage in the imac and boot from the one I pulled. I did not know anything about serial ata drives, till now. Any suggestions on how to utilize my old 250 gig drive now. Would love to be able to boot it up but don't know if that is possible (even if I had an enclosure for it). Thanks for any feedback

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Is your mac not working at all?

If you do having a working mac then you can put that hard drive in an enclosure and you can boot up from it by selecting it in start up drives in system preferences.

OP
E
Reaction score
serial ata seems to be different from...

I've been firewiring from enclosures for a long time and thought this would be a breeze. Had Lacie enclosure but I discovered the ata serial hard drives seem to have a way different layout for hookup and in my research seemed to suggest that firewire and ata serial were not in the same universe. All I found for ata serial, or sata, were these huge enclosures "raid" , nothing simple and nothing firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.