Irfanview comparable app for OS X

Reaction score
COming from a very extensive PC background, and being a digital artist, irfanview http://www.irfanview.com on the PC has become my best friend while viewing numerous references and doing quick things like cropping, rotating and such, while I work away on my other screen. So other than Preview, is there anything else out there? THx!

Cheers,

~t

Reaction score
You'll get a lot of suggestions, but unfortunately, I haven't found anything really close.

I mainly used irfan for batch converting and there certainly is nothing I've seen suggested that works as easily ar irfan.

Reaction score
Have you tried Gimp yet? Not exactly the easiest program i have ever used, but actually quite powerful once you get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Hmm ... this is quite a common question and not one I have an immediate answer to. iPhoto is, of course, quite capable. I tend to just use Finder for things like thumbnails and basic slideshows, then I have ImageWell for making alterations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Xee is a pretty good replacement for the viewer functions of Irfanview. It will rotate images, and save them as different image file types, but it will not resize or crop.

However, amongst small fast Mac viewers it has the real virtue of being able to be started anywhere in a folder of images, and then move back and forth at will amongst the images. This is a feature that even the otherwise wonderful Preview doesn't have - instead you have to select the set of images you want to view first. Xee lets you do this on the fly if you wish.

Xee also has a virtue that iPhoto doesn't - you can set it to show all images at a default 100% zoom factor. So, you can set the default zoom to 100% and then can fly back and forth around a folder of images as you wish.

Honestly, if iPhoto could be set to display images at a default 100% zoom, it would be an excellent image viewer, but it can't and the result is I don't use it all!

For a basic and flexible image viewer (which is what I used Irfanview for most of the time when I was on a PC), with some limited editing capabilities, it is hard to beat Xee. See http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19978 to get a copy.

Reaction score
Ive tried the above programs and none are as easy to use as irfan. Graphicconveter has so many stinking options its hard to even know what the heck you are suppose to do.

I just wish there were a simple, easy to use, resize app thats not iphoto. Not all of use use iphoto.

OP
L
Reaction score
Xee is a pretty good replacement for the viewer functions of Irfanview. It will rotate images, and save them as different image file types, but it will not resize or crop

Yup this is pretty much what I wanted, it's missing a few cool features and such, but it's close!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 1,83 GHz, 512 Ram
Xee can't resize!

I was using Irfan on Win mostly because of its resize option. Xee behaves perfectly but doesn;t have this option! I believe this is an important feature for a software intended to do what Xee does! I'm wondering why people developing Xee never taught of embedding this into their product...

What a pity...:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
COming from a very extensive PC background, and being a digital artist, irfanview http://www.irfanview.com on the PC has become my best friend while viewing numerous references and doing quick things like cropping, rotating and such, while I work away on my other screen. So other than Preview, is there anything else out there? THx!

Cheers,

~t

Not a great option, but IrfanView does run in CrossOver Mac. I tried it in the demo a few months ago, but found it was the only thing I was using CrossOver for, so it wasn't worth the $60 purchase price.

I miss IrfanView too. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.