commands?

N

newtomacs

yesterday i just figured out how to get to Darwin and i was happy i finally did ( even though i felt stupid how easy it was to do) i realized i don't knwo any commands. do any of you know any commandsd that could get me started? thanks

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
newtomacs said:
yesterday i just figured out how to get to Darwin and i was happy i finally did ( even though i felt stupid how easy it was to do) i realized i don't knwo any commands. do any of you know any commandsd that could get me started? thanks

Get a good book on unix or visit some of the How-to style websites (linux and unix are basically all the same thing btw).

To be really specific you have BSD, which stands for Berkeley Standard Distribution, flavoured unix.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
type man and a command and all of its uses will be shown. pwd shows what directory you are in cd (new directory) cd (nothing) goes back to the home directory. ls lists whats in the directory you are in. top shows what running. type exit when done. sh /etc/daily runs daily cron and needs admin password...

OP
X

XmacgeniusX

heres a few,
cd=change directory Example:cd /users/(username)/desktop

pwd=show current directory

mkdir=create a directory mkdir /users/(username)/desktop/(New Directory) , if the
new directory has spaces in it, be sure to put the whole thing in "double quotes"

cp (file location)=[copy file]/rename Example: cp /users/(username)/desktop/image.jpg /users/(username)/desktop/pictures/image12.jpg

mv=relocate a file Example: cp /users/(username)/desktop/image.jpg /users/(username)/desktop/pictures/image.jpg

ftp X.X.X.X=connect to that host via ftp

ed (file name) = edit a text file

login= login to a different user Example: login bob , then it will ask for bob's password

open (program/file location)= opens up a program or file Example: open /applications/safari.app

kill (process number) =closes the process/application

top= lets you view what processes are going on

shutdown = shuts down ur computer

shutdown -r = restarts your computer

These should get you going

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think putting a string a test inside a set of parathesis. I believe you need to place the string inside doulbe quotes ("), or even a back slash then a space ( .i.e mkdir new\ stuff)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.