my keyboard backlight is SUDDENLY not working!!

Reaction score
The backlight on my keyboard suddenly stopped working (my macbook pro is only a week n a half old!)

i have "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" checked on the keyboard n mouse section of the system preferences..

however when i try to adjust the darkness lightness of the backlight using F9 and F10 , the little box comes up and there is a little symbol of a circle with a slash going thru it on the bottom as if suggesting that this feature is unavilable?

***! what gives? anyone know what could be wrong? i JUST got this machine too

OP
M
Reaction score
The backlight on my keyboard suddenly stopped working (my macbook pro is only a week n a half old!)

i have "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" checked on the keyboard n mouse section of the system preferences..

however when i try to adjust the darkness lightness of the backlight using F9 and F10 , the little box comes up and there is a little symbol of a circle with a slash going thru it on the bottom as if suggesting that this feature is unavilable?

***! what gives? anyone know what could be wrong? i JUST got this machine too

ok wait i just realized that it only works if i turn off all the lights in the room....

shouldnt i be able to adjust it manually even if the lights ARE on??

weird because 10 minutes ago it worked fine and i had the same dim lighting in my room.

does it not give u the option of turning it on manually even if the lights are dim???? GRRRrrR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
Hahaha, you are such a n00b....just kidding! I agree with you. There should be a way to turn the backlight on whenever the USER wants!

Reaction score
You can easily just cover up the ambient light sensors which are just above the speakers (You have to cover both). Although, for the most part I have never seen the point of the lights. I rarely work in the dark, and usually I work with an external keyboard when I have the computer plugged in. So if it ever was dark, I probably wouldnt want to turn on the keyboard backlight because it sucsk your battery dry like 50% faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15 Core i5 4GB
Inside the prefs of SLeo, you can untick the option to illuminate keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In the new MBPs., the sensor is next to the iSight camera, a few mm to the left of it.
You can use LabTick to keep it on, but I don't recommend it. Other than draining your battery, and taxing your processor, it will also shorten the life of the backlight, .
The idea of the sensor is that it lights the keyboard up when the lighting is dim enough that you will need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.