Reaction score
i inserted a blank cd and i dont see it in the finder
what should i do to make it appear.

i am trying to copy some files to the blank cd but
i cant see it in the finder.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
first, make sure you have no disk in the drive.

then, create a burn folder. you can do this on your desktop to make it easy. as you drag files into it to copy to a disk, you'll notice that aliases/shortcuts are created in the burn folder.

then once you have all the files you want to burn to a disk, insert the disk and click the burn button on the burn folder.

it will prompt you for a disk, insert it then.

easy as that.

OP
U
Reaction score
i had a mac mini and i could easily drag all the files to the blank
cd in the finder. currently i am using an imac but i dont see the blank cd. are there preferences i need to change?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nope. that's just how it works as far as i know. i've always heard, start the burn, then insert the media to avoid problems.

and if the blank cd doesn't show up, you should just be able to hold the eject button or f12 on a normal keyboard to eject the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I think there's something in system preferences.

Open up system preferences, then choose CD&DVD. In there, you'll see a bunch of options. For both blank CD and blank DVD, I have it set to "ask what to do". Your preferences may for some reason, be set to Ignore by default. If it's already on "ask what to do" change it to something else, then back to that - see if that makes any difference. Close the preferences, pop in a blank CD and see what happens.

With this, OS X should bring up a prompt each time you insert a blank disc, with 3 options - something like ignore, eject and OK. I think I usually hit the default one. The CD icon should appear on the desktop then, and behaves just the same as a burn folder.

Even if you do this, you can still create a burn folder as well, and burn from that.

Reaction score
no blank disc icon on desktop after 'open finder'

Powerbook mac OS 10.3.9

I am having the same problem, BUT i have CD/DVD preferences set to "ask what to do", the window comes up and i ask it to open finder and then i name the CD and press ok. Nothing happens, no disk image on the desktop, no burn options. "eject" and "burn disk" are grey and unavailable in finder's file menu. however i can eject it through itunes and burn tunes.
i have hunted through these forums but not enough information. i repaired disk permissions yesterday (not that i know what that really means). Also yesterday i updated itunes to 7.1.1 and a security update 2007-003. I considered trying to uninstall them but i don't know how to and i'm not sure that its that simple. There is no "burn folder" option in mac OS 10.3.9...
flummoxed and annoyed! HELP!

Reaction score
G'day emslloyd & unpresi,

Check that this pref is ticked .... 'Show these items of the Desktop: CD's, DVD's, and iPods.

Reaction score
no blank disc icon on desktop after 'open finder'

hi, no, set "general" to copy your thumbnail, still no icon. Tried burning through disk utilities and got in a mess. Used to be able to drag and drop onto disk icon on desktop, now no burn possibilities! tried to open a burnt disk through disk utilities on another mac, no icon on desktop.
removed itunes update, no change, this problem is really annoying!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.