Audio recording/Editing Freeware?

Reaction score
I have searched through the forums, but have yet to find any discussion on quality freeware/shareware audio recording/or editing software. There are lots of demos out there, and am not really interested in a "try for 7 days" deal. Does anyone know of a quality program?

I use and enjoy Garageband, but its limited nature is keeping me from doing some of the things i want to do, which in this case, is:

slow down the tempo of an existing mp3 track.

I need to edit some mp3 files, and the tempo of imported tracks in GB can not be edited.

Anyone know of any apps to solve this problem?

Reaction score
G'day stephenkhunt and welcome to Mac-Forums!

I know exactly what you're after. On my PC I can achieve this with the software that came with my Audigy Soundblaster sound card.

On the Mac I use this:

Amazing Slow Downer

Reaction score
No, you import the file from GB into iTunes and the default I think is AAC. Then you just right click on the file and convert it to MP3, AIFF or WAVE.

It just depends on what you have set in Prefs.

OP
S
Reaction score
leg.

well, i imported it to itunes, and it did convert it to an aac file, but am not seeing where or how to convert the format.
I should tell you, btw, that I am a mac beginner (just 36 hours into this thing, haha).

M

MacHeadCase

Ok this conversion thing is kinda screwy so bear with me.

You open iTunes and open the iTunes Preferences (in the menubar under iTunes). Once in the preferences, go to the Advanced tab and in that pane you will see three tabs: General - Importing - Burning.

Click on Importing. You will see Import Using: with a drop down menu. Choose the option you want. You might need to quit iTunes so it registers the new pref at this point.

Resend your tune you want to convert. It should now be automatically in the file format you chose earlier. But in case you don't want this as a permanent setting in iTunes, after you have made sure the file is indeed the way you want it, change again the Preferences back to what you want for further use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Indeed majicdragon - Audacity is a wonderful, open source, free audio editor. VERY powerful. I have used it in both Linux and Mac. You will find it great to use. Another open source program you may wish to get the Mac version for is Sox, a truly amazing format converter. Pretty much any one format to any other format.

In the Linux world, Sox is a command line program...

...in the Linux world, there is no bias to programs having to be GUI based. There seems to be a good mix of command line and GUI programs. The command line is still very much a working environment in the Linux world; not something to be feared, as I have seen here in the Mac world, where the command line (good ol' Terminal.app) is treated almost as if it were voodoo magic ... but I digress! This was just to explain why the program I am about to mention has such an odd name...

Here in the Mac world, there is a GUI wrapper around the core Sox functionality, with the result being called ...you can almost guess this from the foregoing... SoxWrap! See:

http://www.waveformsoftware.com/SoX_Wrap/soxwrap.htm

SoxWrap works very well - an indispensible tool!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.