Lines appearing on Macbook screen randomly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Today, my macbook suddenly started to display random lines of colors on my screen. They appear randomly and are in no set place. I might be scrolling and it appears. Other times it just appears as i switch windows.

Here is a screenshot of just ONE of the incidents:

There has also been an incident where I used Expose to tile all my windows (which are obviously in thumbnail view), and I notice that on one of the windows there were several areas of random lines. They looked fairly small at this point. As soon as I chose that window (which obviously makes the window its normal size) the random lines also enlarged along with the window.

I have only had the macbook for 3 months so I am under warranty. But I hoping that someone could provide some more information on what this could be before I go off complaining to support??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Does it happen at all (or get better/worse) when you move the screen back and forth? That would indicate a troublesome cable or connection to the display.

In any case, a call/trip to Apple is definitely in order. Before you call or visit, make sure you've run Software Update since that's probablyt he first thing they'll tell you to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it happen at all (or get better/worse) when you move the screen back and forth? That would indicate a troublesome cable or connection to the display.

No, it seems more like a video card problem. It's dependent on what program is running. For example, more recently when i open safari the lines come on the screen within the safari window. When i close safari, the lines disappear. But a restart later, and the lines dont appear in safari anymore - instead it appears in some other program.

I've run the software update - all that was downloaded was an ichat software update.

I'll be contacting apple on Monday. Any other suggestions until then would be fantastic - its making the laptop unusable!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did an apple Hardware Test - came up with an error:

4mem/1/40000000

Taking it into Apple on Monday.

Reaction score
lines on screen

Stephen, did you ever get it fixed?

I have two vertical lines on my screen, and Mactivate quoted the repair to be 400 - 500euro. thats almost half the cost of the imac! I have also read some bad reports about Mactivate, but seeing as they are the only mac repairer in Ireland, they're bound to over charge aren't they..

HELP!
I actually want to sell the bloody thing, wanted to get a thousand for it or so, but now I have lines and will have to knock a few hundred off!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi bunny. Sorry to hear that you're having the same problems.

I've got apple care, so i just took it to them and they fixed it for free since it was a hardware fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.