Reattaching the space bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Okay, unfortunately instead of waiting to see if I could fix my 'squeaking' space bar some other way, I have removed the key (after reading some tutorials online which suggested that wiping underneath would put an end to the squeaking). I'm starting to panic now, as I can't seem to get it back on. I've removed keys before and they always seem to just click back on. However this isn't the case here, and I have spent about an hour really looking at the parts underneath the space bar, and cannot figure out how to put it back on correctly, at all.

I have clicked the three white things (not sure what to refer to them as, sorry! I mean the three circular things, the middle one of which has the rubber button for the space bar) into place on the underside of the key, which I presume is correct. I thought it would then be a case of simply flipping the key down and pressing it to connect the bottom clips of the three white things. However, this doesn't work.

Help, someone, please!

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Take the white clip off of the key and then snap the white part onto the machine, then set the key on the white part.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The white part doesn't appear to come off the keyboard. I know it does for the other keys but the space bar appears to be different. The white parts look different and I don't think they're supposed to come off.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, what I mean to say is - the white parts aren't actually attached to the key, and weren't when it came off. They were still attached to the keyboard itself, and I don't think they come off.

I see you have a MacBook Pro yourself. Have you ever removed the spacebar? Anyone else I've spoken to has had a different type of Mac, so I'd be interested to know if you have actually taken the key off and managed to put it back on, since it's the same machine.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ive never taken the keys off of mine, but my sister had a key pop off once and thats how they put it on at the apple store (she has the MBP 15'). I just assumed the space bar is the same as the other keys, just longer. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
I am having the same problem as you are. I have not figured out how to get it back on properly yet. I notice if you position the metal bars on the key into the 2 tiny metal things on the far left and right of the area where the spacebar is it will stay on but not work perfectly. i'll keep tryiing and let you know if i figure it out.

Ooo... update. I just got it and it's working perfectly.

Ok first thing you need to check for. The funny white pieces... there are three of them. The one in the center of mine the white folding area from where I yanked it off wasn't sitting right. So first check and make sure that all of your white pieces are sitting right. They should sit pretty flat and move freely when you press them.

Then look at the key that pulled off. There are 2 metal things underneath. One is pretty straight the other though makes a sideways u shape on both sides. Lift that little u on both side shaped one up and look at where your spacebar is suppose to go. Loop the little u shapes sides on the left and right where there is a very small metal thing where both sides will fit. After you get them in both sides.... just finigle with it. Press down on your spacebar until it starts clicking and snapping in place. You should be all set then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
01/09/2007

This is long been a dead thread. I am sure he is over the problem now...

pde

Reaction score
Omg

ths just happened to me exactly the same way i also have the 3 plastic thingys plzzz tell how how could i fix it im desperate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.