mac viruses

Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering if anyone could help. I have recently new Macbook Pro and my ISP people tell me I have a virus. I'm a getting lots of returned to sender emails which won't stop. My email address is an open one, as in it is anything @hostname.demon.co.uk and the returned emails are just randon letters @hostname.demon.co.uk, if that makes sense. It's as if I am spamming people and the emails are bouncing back from non existent addresses. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Tell your ISP people there are no viruses for the Mac. If e-mail is getting bounced, it could be a Mail setting as you can bounce mail from the Mail App.

OP
W
Reaction score
re virus

Hi. No. it's as if my email address is being used to spam other people then I get constant undeliverable mails from address i have never heard of as if I have sent a mail. ISP said even macs are getting affected and when I phoned mac, they said: which virus? and to try mac-forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have had this happen to me before, and have chalked it up to spoofing. The spammer is using your email address as the sending address, even though it is coming from somewhere else. All part of their effort to hide as they overwhelm everyone's inbox with junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Sorry, but it's just not a virus.(I guess that's a good thing, though.)

OP
W
Reaction score
so if it's not a virus, any idea how i can stop it? change email address. it's picking them up as junk but not everyone. just a real pain. thanks for the tips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah, changin your email address would solve it. :)

:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.