Unix Executable File problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to install an application that was compressed to a dmg file.

When I mount the dmg file I find that inside there are two other files:

-a Unix Executable file
-a .dat file

I think the .dat file contains the data of the application and the "unix executable file" is simply the installer to .. install the data.

But when I open up the "Unix executable file" a window comes up saying "please choose an application to open this file with". I've tried renaming the file and choosing apps like Terminal but it just doesn't work.

I think it just has to be renamed to what it was originally, but I havn't managed to guess correctly.

What are the common extensions for installer files for mac? I've tried .pkg, .dmg but they don't work...

But if my idea to make this work is completely off-target, please point to the right direction!!

Thanks for reading,

Jamie

PS: I've tried using an application called "FileNamer" but I don't really understand how that works so I deleted it, but it said that this file was an "aPcs type file". I've googled that but havn't found anything about it...

Reaction score
What exactly is the name of the file?
If it IS an installer, try putting an .app extension on the end of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Or open a Terminal session and run it from there.

Just make sure you're in the directory where it's located and put a dot-slash in front of it. (e.g. ./unixexecutablefile)

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry - How do you run it from the Terminal?

I've never used the terminal before...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

This gives you a shell under your userid's ownership. You can navigate from here to the spot where you put your UNIX file.

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a unix file? I've had text files show as unix files because it had no extension and Finder didn't know what to do with it.

Also, some installers would pop up that "open with" dialog if it has a ".1.0.2" version number in the name (not necessarily those numbers, just an example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's an excellent point, cradom.

If this was supposed to be a UNIX file, he'd already be aware of the terminal and how to use it. (With all due respect. :)

Fender, if you could tell us what you're trying to load, we could work from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Are you sure it's a unix file? I've had text files show as unix files because it had no extension and Finder didn't know what to do with it.

Very good point. If the unix 'executable' permission is set and there is no other way for Finder to know what it is, this is how it would appear. Could, in fact, be anything :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
"FileNamer" ... said that this file was an "aPcs type file". I've googled that but havn't found anything about it...
The only reference I found regarding the aPcs file type was this, via google. It was the only link I checked.

Look. It is simple. If you don't give people good information in your question, they can't help you. So, where did you get this dmg image and what is it suppose to contain?

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been away for the last few days.

The file is actually a music plugin I got from a colleague, I told him about the problem but he got back to me this morning and said that it doesn't work on OSX, this has been confirmed by xtep's post: The site he gives a link to does mention this.

I'll have to buy an updated version of the plugin...

Thanks for the replies!

Jamie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.