firmware update HELP!

Reaction score
hey guys...
k.. this is the first time i m posting in any of these forums... but i really need ur help..
i got a white 13" macbook with 1 gig of ram... 2 weeks ago, when i would turn on my computer, the startup time was around 18 seconds..
i got an update notice of EFI and SMC firmwares.. and i updated them.. i assume that it was these updates that caused my computer to slow down a lot... (the startup time is now around 2-3 minutes!!) and i have programs like limewire or word that don't even open..
any ideas of what it could be, what should i do? (i m not even sure its the firmware updates.. but thats the only thing that comes to mind)
thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Your right, 2-3 minutes is ridiculous. I suppose it could be the update, but I haven't heard anything but good things about them. I don't think that Apple would put out updates that cause more ptoblems.

I don't know where you live, but if there is an Apple store around, you set up an appointment to take it in. Usually the people that work there are knowledgeable and can give you some insight as to what the problem might be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
shuks701 Before taking your machine in try repairing your disk permissions.

Applications>>Utilities>>disk utility.

Good luck :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Reel1, i took another macbook and downloaded the "firmware restoration cd". i then did the applications>>utilities>>disc utility and burned the dmg file to a cd.
i then went to my laptop and followed the instructions to restore the firmware, but when i did that, i saw the lights blinking and i heard the long tone, but there was no update bar and the computer did not restart. so i m assuming the update/restoration didnt work.
any idea?

thx again.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
weird, i did both of those firmware updates and noticed no slowdown in startup. i would assume it's something else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.