• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I quieted a mac hater

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
I never said anything about life and death, did I? Is that what I was on about? No... Just how much wormapalooza and patch-o-matic crap does it take to show that it's sub standard? Do all those people in the Linux forums work that hard to avoid doz for nothing? I feel bad that they don't seem to like or be able to move to Mac. But honestly. Sure it's just another OS and great for gaming, but having totally unstable unusable sleep mode and up time never more then a few hours and constant chase for patches and virus/adware/spyware hunter-killer apps? Read the clues! But that's just what I think Seriously, read the article I posted in the Pit ;) :rolleyes:
I know better not to read fanboy topics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The article isn't by me - it's one I found

OP
Z

Zer0 Tolerance

I converted from pc to mac (convinced by my friend) but these days I'm regretting it...cause I have so many problems...maybe some of y'all can quiet me by helping me out lol....here's a list of problems I got:

-Can't "save for web" or .gif in photoshop
-Can't play hi fi/low fi from sounclick pages in my itunes (I used to be able to)
-Can't play a bunch of movie clips I find on the net...
-Can't right clik to check properties of an image like the dimensions or link
-Don't know a good program for vocal recording like Cool Edit for my pc
...I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of right now...

btw how do I screenshot? (I know I suck lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Zer0 Tolerance said:
I converted from pc to mac (convinced by my friend) but these days I'm regretting it...cause I have so many problems...maybe some of y'all can quiet me by helping me out lol....here's a list of problems I got:

-Can't play hi fi/low fi from sounclick pages in my itunes (I used to be able to)

right click is replaced by command C from the keyboard, or by control + mouse click for some image types
btw how do I screenshot?

Open Grab (located in Applications/Utilities) and choose a command from the Capture menu.
Selection takes a picture of a part of the screen that you select.
Window takes a picture of a window you select.
Screen takes a picture of the entire screen.
Timed Screen lets you start a timer and activate part of the screen (such as a menu), and then takes a picture of the screen.
Follow the onscreen instructions
After more practice I'm sure you will love it and don't forget about leaving the ongoing wormapalooza! :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

Absolute Zero said:
I know better not to read fanboy topics.

hey man, I just told a story that relates to alot of people who use both macs and pc's...this is how I use to act...and I was just telling a story about how this guy was exaclty like I use to be...ignorant (not really knowing anything about the other side). I'm not here to say: "Hail to the Mac Gods." I'm just telling a story that applies to my life in one way or another...and to many others....and I never said I hated pcs or anything like that..just said I like my mac better...it gives me less problems...maybe that doesn't apply for you..but it does for me..

your fanboy crap is starting to get anoying....your the same on the other end....lets just be freinds..and stop being negative....and not be an asses....who cares if people have post like these..and get excited...a lot of people feel differently than you do..and that's their thing...and there is no reason for you to say anything..you don't like it...don't post or read it...if you could just cope, you could maybe have some decent comments on the subject, rather than just making other people feel like idiots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Zer0 Tolerance said:

yes you can.

use VLC (search www.versiontracker.com)

use VLC (search www.versiontracker.com)

yeah we dont have properties, we have get info. but online images.. just save them to disk by right clicking or control clikcin

look for Sound studio (search www.versiontracker.com)

shift+open apple (next to space bar) + 3 or 4 depending on the function u want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Zero Tolerance - If you're talking about properties of images on websites, right click and choose 'open in new window/tab' and that'll tell you the dimensions. If you're talking about the in Finder, if you go View > View Options and select 'show item info' most image dimensions will show up if you're viewing folders as icons. Also use get info (apple-i) or the inspector (apple-option-i) and click on a file to get it's size and other information.

The rest of you, calm down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
TylerMoney said:
hey man, I just told a story that relates to alot of people who use both macs and pc's...this is how I use to act...and I was just telling a story about how this guy was exaclty like I use to be...ignorant (not really knowing anything about the other side). I'm not here to say: "Hail to the Mac Gods." I'm just telling a story that applies to my life in one way or another...and to many others....and I never said I hated pcs or anything like that..just said I like my mac better...it gives me less problems...maybe that doesn't apply for you..but it does for me..
Yeah, it certainly doesn't apply to me. I just had to take my book back to the store to get a new hard drive... second time this month. Horray.

your fanboy crap is starting to get anoying....
And so is yours.
your the same on the other end....lets just be freinds..and stop being negative....and not be an asses....
Sorry, I'm not so optimistic.
who cares if people have post like these..and get excited...a lot of people feel differently than you do..and that's their thing...and there is no reason for you to say anything..you don't like it...don't post or read it...if you could just cope, you could maybe have some decent comments on the subject, rather than just making other people feel like idiots.
...dotdotdot.......dot... lol. :D
It's just stupid, if you've every looked at Spymac (ugh...) there are so many Mac Morons there, "OMG EWW NEVAR POST A PIC OF A PEECEE AGAN IN OUR GALLRY!!111one"
It's pathetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
WARNING:[/font] s/b: warning by .[.b.]word.[./.b.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
witeshark said:
And to claim that there are so many business situations that give no choice is equally absurd. What moron exec is gonna refuse to read a report because it was written and printed from Appleworks? Refuse a financial report that was made from Apple software? My Mac does everything I did in doz.

The point is that the Mac is good for internet and graphics and audio, but not for business applications. Claiming that CEOs will not read reports made on a mac is absurd. The report they require probably can't be produced on a mac. There is a huge lack of Business Apps on macs, and I guess that will remain, as Apple don't consider businesses to be their primary customer segment. Apple is geared towards home users.

I read this in my core text book - Had a marketing exam today! The case study was about how Apple lost the dominant position in the personal computer industry to IBM because it refused to go and encourage outside developers to create software for its platform (primarily with respect to business software). Rather it insisted that its target market is home users, and it doesn't need the help of outside developers.

But anyways, that was ages ago. What we have to realise now is that business do prefer the vareity offered to them on a windows platform, and they appreciate it and stick to windows. Thats fine, but what we sometimes fail to realise is the fact that the revenue generated from businesses is enormous. Perhaps apple may change its strategic planning objectives sometime in the future to gain some more market share. Who knows? (Too much marketing in my head, duh!!)

I hope I have put my point across quite clearly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You made your point very well, I see what you're saying - quite interesting actually! :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I beg to differ. Apple did loss a lot of market share to IBM. Apple did have a lot of there hardware in business. The prices of the hardware is what cost them the market share. At the time most companies felt that they could buy several PCs for the prices of the Apple hardware. They normally did not consider the cost of M$ operating system in the costing of the hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
witeshark said:
You made your point very well, I see what you're saying - quite interesting actually! :)
cheers witeshark!
rman said:
The prices of the hardware is what cost them the market share. At the time most companies felt that they could buy several PCs for the prices of the Apple hardware. They normally did not consider the cost of M$ operating system in the costing of the hardware.
I see where you are coming from, I partly agree with ur arguement, but not entirely. I'd like to emphasize the point I made earlier. The software license cost (as u mentioned) was indeed a contributing factor to Apple's loss of the market leader position due to not addressing the corporate institutions, but it was not the primary factor behind their fall. The main factor was software development by outside programmers. There was virtually no support mechanism offered to them by Apple. Whereas IBM, on the other hand, was encouraging their development actively.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Absolute Zero said:
Yeah, it certainly doesn't apply to me. I just had to take my book back to the store to get a new hard drive... second time this month. Horray.

And so is yours.Sorry, I'm not so optimistic....dotdotdot.......dot... lol. :D
It's just stupid, if you've every looked at Spymac (ugh...) there are so many Mac Morons there, "OMG EWW NEVAR POST A PIC OF A PEECEE AGAN IN OUR GALLRY!!111one"
It's pathetic.

Well, I'm glad we got that over with.

So, how about those Pirates, eh? Right. Anyways, I still don't think I got my point accros. I was never trying to be a mac "fanboy" in relating this story. It was just something that happened. I never say mac is infalible...I just think it's (by it's I mean my pb) is less so than my pc..which I have proof of this...because I use both of these computers everyday.

I was also just making a point in that, many people don't give mac a chance..which shouldn't be....for most of the time...it's a better experience, at least in some sense (definintely os wise)...though that also depends on what you're doing. So, this kid just had no reason to hate mac, like I have no reason to hate pc...I use them...he doesn't use mac..but it's all from what he had heard from others. This story had absolutely zero.......to do with me going: "mac mac mac mac, pc blow pc blow, mac mac mac mac..."

And with the fanboy crap, I just felt you were being quite a bit harsh on some folk....but I guess I do the same at times.

So there you have it...I hope we can understand each other now...and live happily every after, like a disney movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TylerMoney said:
Well, I'm glad we got that over with.
Me too.

So, how about those Pirates, eh? Right. Anyways, I still don't think I got my point accros. I was never trying to be a mac "fanboy" in relating this story. It was just something that happened. I never say mac is infalible...I just think it's (by it's I mean my pb) is less so than my pc..which I have proof of this...because I use both of these computers everyday.

I was also just making a point in that, many people don't give mac a chance..which shouldn't be....for most of the time...it's a better experience, at least in some sense (definintely os wise)...though that also depends on what you're doing. So, this kid just had no reason to hate mac, like I have no reason to hate pc...I use them...he doesn't use mac..but it's all from what he had heard from others. This story had absolutely zero.......to do with me going: "mac mac mac mac, pc blow pc blow, mac mac mac mac..."
Oh yeah, I know.

And with the fanboy crap, I just felt you were being quite a bit harsh on some folk....but I guess I do the same at times.
I was not harsh! You want harsh? I'll show you harsh... HULK SMASH PUNY HUMANS!!!

So there you have it...I hope we can understand each other now...and live happily every after, like a disney movie.
Disney? No. They make crappy sequels... make it... PIXAR. :D
Wait... they help Disney.... damnit.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, Disney only helps Pixar with marketing....Pixar does everything else on there own.

and when I referenced to Disney, I was actually meaning their older movies (Lion King, Aladin, Jungle Book, Robin Hood)...I didn't mention that ....should've thought about that...they're just making such terrible things these days...and pixar seems to have taken their old place...the Incredibles looks pretty incredible..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
P

psychotoe

Zer0 Tolerance said:

Zer0 seems to me that you should have thought more on your purchase before the switch?. But if you give it time you will find that it will work for you. I been using PC's forever I even build them on the side, so when I made the switch I knew that there were giong to be some diffrences. The truth is I find (that I can do more with the Mac then with the PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.