• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I quieted a mac hater

T

TylerMoney

So I was in my afternoon airbrush class today....and this kid started talking about how he hated macs....and I quietly said "you shouldn't hate macs, they don't hate you." Then this other guy says he is with the other kid, and hates macs. He says there confusing to use, and he just doesn't like them. And then I was like..." man, they're so easy to use...and so much more stable than any pc." That's when he went on his, "my computer doesn't crash anymroe with XP." And then I had to tell him a little more about myself. How I grew up using PC's, and have one right now. I built my own. I told him how I used to hate mac...because I was ignorant...and that I agreed that XP is not as bad...but still isn't very good. And I told him when I really started using macs....I couldn't stop. How...I have a pc now..but I'd rather use my mac. He just got quiet.....and then mentioned something about he was looking forward to seeing how longhorn worked out....what is longhorn?...I should google it. But I thought that'd be a nice warming story for you other mac lovers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
nice work! :D

but longhorn is the mac-like version of Windows which currently is crap, and only encorps things that mac has had since 10.0. The kicker is it wont be released till 2006.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Hmmm...sounds like something I'll have to look into for my pc in the future. Yeah...I'm finding that most people that hate mac truly are just ignorant of them....they never really just sit down and see how wonderful they are. But I guess that's life...and it's what it will always be like...could be worse I guess....it could still be me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Just remember that the next time you are saying something bad about someone or something.. just remember that hey.. maybe you just don't know them well enough or know about that subject enough.. Im constantly trying to remind myself of that :)

OP
G

gitboxnat

Graphite said:

but longhorn is the mac-like version of Windows which currently is crap, and only encorps things that mac has had since 10.0. The kicker is it wont be released till 2006.

I read another article last week, I think the LongHorn will be pushed back even further.. around 2008..! It's a funny name a operating system. I wonder why they chose that name... Any ideas?

OP
G

gitboxnat

TylerMoney said:
So I was in my afternoon airbrush class today....and this kid started talking about how he hated macs....and I quietly said "you shouldn't hate macs, they don't hate you." Then this other guy says he is with the other kid, and hates macs. He says there confusing to use, and he just doesn't like them. And then I was like..." man, they're so easy to use...and so much more stable than any pc." That's when he went on his, "my computer doesn't crash anymroe with XP." And then I had to tell him a little more about myself. How I grew up using PC's, and have one right now. I built my own. I told him how I used to hate mac...because I was ignorant...and that I agreed that XP is not as bad...but still isn't very good. And I told him when I really started using macs....I couldn't stop. How...I have a pc now..but I'd rather use my mac. He just got quiet.....and then mentioned something about he was looking forward to seeing how longhorn worked out....what is longhorn?...I should google it. But I thought that'd be a nice warming story for you other mac lovers.

In response to your story, I have a ton of friends that use PC, geez, actually all my friends except one or two use Macs. They all really hate Macs, which I don't understand why, they haven't even tried using it and they just bad talk about it. I agree with you TylerMoney, they're ignorant. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually it's the in thing to do.. talk smack about the mac.. oh that rhymed! :)

And the answer to your longhorn question is.. think about it.. what is a longhorn? it's basically a bull right? Now what do people say to other people that are lying? You say.. Bull! As in "yeah right.. that's a lie" So in conclusion Microsoft is having fun with all their users, dragging them along.. trying to get them to hang onto windows as long as possible instead of going to Apple.. when in reality.. the whole story about Longhorn is just that.. Bull.. it doesnt really exist.. now how do you go about keeping people believing a time sensitive lie? You string them along by changing the date when it's due.. exactly what they've been doing.

Ok.. I made all that up.. but it sounds pretty good to me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
TylerMoney, that was inspiring.

My entire family thinks that Macs are some sort of unknown being and think I'm crazy for using one. When I was back at home over break, I told my brother about all of the wonderful things one could do with a Mac, and he was amazed. About a day or two later his PC crashed. Must be a sign. ;)

OP
T

TylerMoney

Indeed. Must be a sign. I'm trying to talk another friend into getting a mac. His laptop is dying, so he is looking into getting a new one. His dad works at IBM, so he'll probably get one of them, due to discount. But he also knows someone who works at mac, so could get a family discount. The thing is, he likes mac design, knows nothing about the os, and could really care less which one he gets as long as he can do what he needs. The real trick is, he'll definently buy one if there is a good hocky game for macs. He really likes hockey, and apparently has to play a hockey computer game....so, I'm having trouble finding one. Backyard Hockey and Air Hockey just won't do.

OP
D

danielos

gitboxnat said:
I read another article last week, I think the LongHorn will be pushed back even further.. around 2008..! It's a funny name a operating system. I wonder why they chose that name... Any ideas?
It's just the code name for the operating system, not that official name.

OP
A

agallant

Graphite said:

LongHorn is due out in 2005 and as far as the UI it is 90% the same as XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
agallant said:
LongHorn is due out in 2005 and as far as the UI it is 90% the same as XP
Well it's more like this and it's no surprise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susan.marshall4/Other Stuff/screenshot2.JPG

that was my longhorn back in the beginning of 2003... (old specs too) and it was quite good actually.. but as I have recieved the later builds.. they got worse and slower.. I gave up and threw them all out because they weren't bearable

I would say keep away from it because its doubled in size of XP..

I agree about people being ignorant about Macs.. my dad is and its very unfortunate.. he talks like i totally hate pcs now.. :(

I was before i knew anything about them.. thats when it starts to change.. and OS X is so user friendly.. and the hardware is so great, i had to take one home with me. so it was the iBook G4

OP
U

u76200

be pragmatic

What really bugs me is the fanaticism about one system over the other some of you guys display. All have their sides. I really like the Mac and OSX, but it is pretty tough to live with its limited Software support in real life. There is just such a limited amount of business software for the platform when you go beyond graphics/office/accounting applications.

I am using daily software from the following vendors at the office and at home, partly through VPN:
http://about.bloomberg.com/software/documentation.html
http://www.ecowin.com/products/ecowinpro/
http://www.advent.com/products/index.asp
http://www.samstock.com/products2.asp?news_id=C0943109F8584DD5

I would love to have a G5 Powerbook at home - when available - but I think I will still have to keep a laptop running MS OS around for serious work. The above software & services I run cost more than 30K per year per workstation to use, so these are pretty serious and expensive business applications.

The only stuff we actually run on Macs at the office beyond our marketing deparment is a trading platform:
http://www.orcsoftware.com/Technology/architecture.htm

So we have some experience from both worlds and unfortunately the Mac is often not a contender for business applications outside of the graphics and entertainment industries. The applications are simply not there due to a thin installed base - no matter how neat the machines or the OS are.

Hence I think that you have to be pragmatic. There are loads of industries where you simple do not have a choice.

OP
U

u76200

One more note - A PC is just a tool and that is how it should be viewed, no matter who the OS or HW manufacturer is. And people think different, I actually find the XP interface easier to use than OSX. Better keyboard shortcuts and more versatile mouse functions - though I have to be fair, I use it more.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
u76200 is correct.

Why the **** is this such a big deal? It's rediculous how Mac users react to "I hate Macs, Macs suck." comments from PC users. Respect others opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Totally agree with 'u76200' and 'Absolute Zero'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The thing about it is after the ooos and ahhhhs over 3.1 and huge expectations of 95 what became the disaster of 95 - ME is partly to blame on a very poor foundation. The registry. The behemoth that longhorn must become to protect it is just rediculous. And to claim that there are so many business situations that give no choice is equally absurd. What moron exec is gonna refuse to read a report because it was written and printed from Appleworks? Refuse a financial report that was made from Apple software? My Mac does everything I did in doz. And my pc that was my doz box is now a Red Hat Linux box that can do all of it as well. It's not a fanatic thing, it's a recognition of a crappy os, plain and simple

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Immaturity at its finest. Seriously... ***...
Its just an operating system. Sure, ME was a joke. 95 was great for its time, nice and small, and was perfect for gaming. But that was back in '96, this is 2004.
I use XP and 2000 at school and sometimes emulate 2000 at home on my Mac. I used 98 and 95 and 3.1 at my mom's work.There very good OSes. (Except for 95, 98, and 3.1, but that was years ago when it was the best thing ever.)
Stop acting like the OS wars are a matter of life and death and grow up. This goes for the WHOLE Apple community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I never said anything about life and death, did I? Is that what I was on about? No... Just how much wormapalooza and patch-o-matic crap does it take to show that it's sub standard? Do all those people in the Linux forums work that hard to avoid doz for nothing? I feel bad that they don't seem to like or be able to move to Mac. But honestly. Sure it's just another OS and great for gaming, but having totally unstable unusable sleep mode and up time never more then a few hours and constant chase for patches and virus/adware/spyware hunter-killer apps? Read the clues! But that's just what I think Seriously, read the article I posted in the Pit ;) :rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.