Mac Mini Memory Upgrade and FAN NOISE

Reaction score
HELP -- I'm an admitted rookie at this. I just upgraded my 1.5 single core intel mac mini, from 512mb ram to 1 gig. Ever since the fan has kicked in. I can get used to the noise (its much louder than before), but am worried this is a signal that something is wrong. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!!

kevin

Reaction score
Did you have to disconnect any wires when you were putting in the memory? because I've heard that there is one that you need to pull to get to it, and that it controls the fans. Apparently, a lot of people forget to plug this back in, causing the fans to keep on going.

So, pop it open, and make sure everything is connected, and you should be fine (Note: I'm waiting until my 1-year warranty runs out before I pop mine open, so I'm only speaking from what I've read elsewhere)

OP
K
Reaction score
Wow -- yes there is a small connector you have to undo. I plugged it back in, but maybe I did it backwards (?), or maybe it's not situated correctly. I'll check it out. Thanks very much for this info!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is it possible that the extra RAM is emitting enough extra heat for the fan to need to stay on more often?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
like mac57 said. the ram may be creating more heat as there is more of it and this could cause more heat to be emitted so the fans have to be on longer to cool it down

OP
K
Reaction score
:headphone It was that cable -- the little tiny cable to the right of the speaker. It wasn't plugged in, though I swear I did.... Oh well, the fan noise is gone and all is right with the mini!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, SLOKUNSHIALGO!:mac:

Reaction score
You are very welcome. I'm more glad that I know it for myself when I pop mine open and tinker around inside.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.