Copying MP3's from iPod to computer

Reaction score
When I plug my iPod into my Mac and iTunes starts up, I get an error message that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod." However, my music is only stored on my iPod, so I'd like to copy it over to my computer before restoring the iPod. In Windows, you can generally copy your music off the iPod by opening it as an external USB drive, showing the hidden files, and dragging them to the hard disk -- but my iPod won't mount properly. I double-click on the icon and, after a long time, Windows asks me to please insert a disk in drive E:

On the Mac side, I can do something similar via the Unix interface, but again, the iPod won't mount. It will, however, mount in iTunes, but I don't know where to go from there. Does anybody have some ideas how I can get my iPod mounted and get the music off of it? Thanks.

--Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
When I plug my iPod into my Mac and iTunes starts up, I get an error message that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod." However, my music is only stored on my iPod, so I'd like to copy it over to my computer before restoring the iPod. In Windows, you can generally copy your music off the iPod by opening it as an external USB drive, showing the hidden files, and dragging them to the hard disk -- but my iPod won't mount properly. I double-click on the icon and, after a long time, Windows asks me to please insert a disk in drive E:

On the Mac side, I can do something similar via the Unix interface, but again, the iPod won't mount. It will, however, mount in iTunes, but I don't know where to go from there. Does anybody have some ideas how I can get my iPod mounted and get the music off of it? Thanks.

--Jay

Have you tried a simple reset? PUSH AND HOLD the MIDDLE button and the MENU button AT THE SAME TIME for 10 seconds.. this may take a few trys and it works best if hooked to power..

look at this link below and follow step by step 1-4 and see if you then can get it to mount

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940

once you get your ipod to mount there are a few options on how to get the music from your ipod to your computer..

this is an option

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

or you could download a third party program that will allow you to transfer your music from your ipod to your computer..

I suggest Senuti. Its free and fast and simple.. you can find it at www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com

OP
K
Reaction score
I accidentally let my iPod's battery drain fully and now it seems to be mounting fine, so there's another thing to try in case anyone else stumbles across this issue. I did, however, use Senuti to back up all the music...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.