• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ModBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thats very interesting.. I have always wanted a tablet mac, but I don't think I will be getting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
So can you legally just buy hardware mod it as a new product and then resell, or would they need a license from apple? I'm guessing they don't as apple would surely rather build it themselves...if they wanted to release one at all.
I know I'd rather have an apple-made machine than some chopped up modded "used to be apple" thing - And, I assume, it'll cost more.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Sounds mad! I want one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Sounds like it might be more of a service.

1) Purchase your Macbook (Pro? :)
2) Send it in
3) They hack it up, replace screen, add hinge, inkwell, etc...
4) Void your warranty
5) Give you their warranty
6) Return it to you...

VOILA! Modbook (Pro!?)

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Ohhh so that's what this is all about... Well I thought it was hardware.

I kept remembering Apple getting patents for what could point towards a tablet. I thought that this was it but manufactured by someone willing to pay licensing fees to Apple for the use of the patents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds like it might be more of a service.

1) Purchase your Macbook (Pro? :)
2) Send it in
3) They hack it up, replace screen, add hinge, inkwell, etc...
4) Void your warranty
5) Give you their warranty
6) Return it to you...

VOILA! Modbook (Pro!?)
That is exactly what that article said. At the Expo itself, they will have limited number of "pre-modded" machines (what the article refers to as 'turnkey') for sale, but when those run out it will go to the method described by slyseeker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
It is a for sure thing though. They have a stand and trials at MacWorld, so they can't really back out on that. If Apple does release a tablet, it has some competition...

Reaction score
Without the fitting software, a tablet mac won't be much use. I wonder what they did with it, but butchering a MacBook to like like a tablet won't replace the time and thought Apple would devote to such a product. Still hoping for 11" MBP on Tuesday or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I'm hoping they don't release an 11" MBP for the purely selfish reason that it'll make me regret having a Macbook (Only a little).

Just a thought, would the tablet design be bad for the screen? My Macbook is cool all over except for the top left on the base, with the screen being so close wouldn't the heat affect it over time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I'm also hoping for a smaller MacBook Pro, not that i plan to buy one in the near future, but i miss the 12" PowerBook.
Anyway, i have seen a couple of iBooks and MacBooks modded to a tablet format and they seem to work very well, plus this mods have been done by average users, so i expect a mod done by professional engineers to be much much better. This sounds like a great option instead of a Wacom Cintiq tablet ($2499), if you need one. I could be wrong, but i think this idea has great potential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I can't find any real coverage of the Modbook on any of the sites (they're too obsessed with the iPhone). But, I did Google the preview Web site.

GPS? March release? Pre-order? meh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Thats is interesting. I'd feel better if it was made by Apple but its still cool. Not that I will ever get one anyway just because I doubt I'd have the cash to spend on one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
It's neato, but I can't ever really see myself using a tablet. I need a keyboard to type documents, surf the web, write emails, etc. It seems like it would be SO slow with a pen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
^^ Same here... I'd rather just buy a Wacom Tablet, which I don't have much use for as I'm pretty darn good with Illustrator's drawing tools, and would rather just illustrate with pen and paint with paint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, a year has passed, and the Modbook has finally become a reality. Is there anyone who is interested in buying one? If I was dying for a tablet Mac, I probably would. The first thing I thought was that it sucks it doesn't have a keyboard, but then I realized that the new wireless keyboard is so small, thin and portable, it wouldn't be a big deal to toss it in my bag along with the Modbook. Throw in a collapsable book stand to hold up the Modbook, and you're in business!

I was first surprised that Apple has given them the nod to make it, but then I thought of Motorola and iTunes. Apple let them make a java iTunes app for their phones, which I think was a slick way for Apple to research a music phone without paying for any research on their own. Maybe they're using this company to test the waters for their own tablet computer, which will of course be much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
the modbook has actually been out for a while... I remember looking at it a couple of months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
the modbook has actually been out for a while... I remember looking at it a couple of months ago.
Well, this thread is a year old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.