Keyboard and battery questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I realise I've been asking a lot of questions ever since I got here.. but I just have so many of them! Thanks to everyone who's helped me thus far. Lol.

Okay, so I've been using my new MBP for about a week, and I've only just over the last day or two begun to notice that there is a rather noticeable and fairly annoying squeaking noise coming from my keyboard, particularly the space bar, as far as I can tell. Has anyone else here had this problem? I Googled it and it appears that some other people have ... although I couldn't find a solution for it.

And also - the battery is supposed to last around five hours, right? (I'm on a 15", 2.16ghz model if that makes a difference) When fully charged my battery indicator always reads something like 2 hrs 45m. Is this right? Or is there something I can do to optimise it? I was quite excited at the idea of getting in the region of five hours out of it.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
Ok, I have a mbp aswell and for sometimes my space bar squeeks aswell. Its not doing in right now and its only sometimes so idk. I guess its just rubbing against something or what not but it only slight and every once in a while. Also about the battery life the stuff they advirtise is crap really and depends on the programs you are running and stuff like that. Like for me if i am listening to music and on ichat and stuff the battery last like 2:45 but if i am only browsing the web then it last for like 5. Its basically on how much power you are drawing. The 5 hour thing is like in optimal conditions. Basically to optimize battery life just opt out of music and just do what you have to do and thats its. So if you are just using it to type a paper. Only use it for that and don't use many other programs. Hope it helps!

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hey Everwood, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I sort of guessed about the battery life - I just like to check these things out, because I seem to have a track record of having to return everything I buy due to a fault of some sort. Lol.

About the squeaky space bar - I read some stuff about people who actually took the space bar off themselves and cleaned underneath it, which solved their problem. I'm not sure that this is something I'd like to try, but is it actually designed so that people are able to remove it and replace it themselves?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I always haver to return things because of problems too, I look for the problems subconsionly.

I had a squeaky space bar. I bought a can of oxygen and blasted the edges of the keyboard all gone. I will be dust or a very very small mouse.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
???, yep, I think I pretty much do that too. After a few years of having to return every TV, DVD player, computer and mobile phone (I have a Nokia N73 at the moment and my first TWO were really obviously faulty! Ridiculous) you buy, you get a little paranoid.

Oxygen spray? I've never heard of that. What is it? I'm in the UK.. so may not be available here. Although I would also be reluctant to spray anything into the keyboard in case I break it and void the warranty. The squeaking is getting more and more annoying by the second, though - unlike Everwood said, mine seems to be all the time, not just now and again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - Evermore! Lol. Don't know why I was doing that. :D

I really shouldn't have taken the space bar off. I assumed it would be easy to place back on but of course it is the only key that doesn't just snap back on!

Wondering whether I should ring Applecare to ask them. Well within the 90 days, but would they just tell me it was my own fault for taking a key off the keyboard? LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh wow i didn't even realize that was your post about taking the keyboard off...wow haha. i now feal like an idiot...well hopefully someone responds...plus if anything bring it the apple store and just have them pop it back on...i wouldn't call its a waste cuase i think u are limited on calls and its not worth it for that. the apple store should fix you up nice.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Perhaps I should've taken out that Applecare thing. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I called Apple and I've had to arrange to send it back for a replacement.. which kinda sucks because I'll miss it while it's gone, but at least it'll be getting fixed.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
???, yep, I think I pretty much do that too. After a few years of having to return every TV, DVD player, computer and mobile phone (I have a Nokia N73 at the moment and my first TWO were really obviously faulty! Ridiculous) you buy, you get a little paranoid.

Yeah, thats me too. I am always changing TV/PC/phones. I have decided to upgrade to the 17" next month, if a new ipod doesn't come out. But if the rumours of the 12" true. Well, you know I will have that instead.

You can get the spray in the UK, in PC world and I think eBuyer too. I bought in the UK a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
Find someone that has an old school nintendo. If they still play it, I bet they know where to get the air spray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.