Noisy?

D

Danimac

Having fun with the new iMac, apart from needing to reinstall the OS after a week - most of the programs froze completely. But is it noisy or what - fan whir, a rythmic hum [that I can feel through the desk] and a constant "tick,tick....tick,tick" that sounds like the hard drive doing somethig. Is this usual? It is certainly irritating, but then perhaps that is the disadvantage of having a one-piece system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Danimac said:
Having fun with the new iMac, apart from needing to reinstall the OS after a week - most of the programs froze completely. But is it noisy or what - fan whir, a rythmic hum [that I can feel through the desk] and a constant "tick,tick....tick,tick" that sounds like the hard drive doing somethig. Is this usual? It is certainly irritating, but then perhaps that is the disadvantage of having a one-piece system.

Did this machine come directly from Apple, or did you buy it used? The iMac's that I've used, like most Macs, were all virtually silent, so I'd suspect there is something amiss with yours. It also certainly shouldn't be necessary to reinstall the OS the way you describe. I would see what you can do about getting the machine checked-out and repaired.

OP
D

Danimac

Thanks - hoped switching would be easier

Padawan said:
Did this machine come directly from Apple, or did you buy it used. The iMac's that I've used, like most Macs, were all virtually silent, so I'd suspect there is something amiss with yours. It also certainly shouldn't be necessary to reinstall the OS the way you describe. I would see what you can do about getting the maching checked-out and repaired.

Thanks - that is what I thought. Got it new from a reputable retailer [10% cheaper than the Apple store] - have to get back to them I suppose. The reinstall followed a lock up - Safari would not launch at all and Mail was sticking.......but don`t even ask about the nightmare of trying to get my Palm T3 to sync!

OP
O

ofsomeone

Padawan said:
Did this machine come directly from Apple, or did you buy it used? The iMac's that I've used, like most Macs, were all virtually silent, so I'd suspect there is something amiss with yours. It also certainly shouldn't be necessary to reinstall the OS the way you describe. I would see what you can do about getting the machine checked-out and repaired.

"Virtually Silent"

What does this exactly mean? The iMac has a fan and you CAN hear it, it's not has loud has some other computers, but it's noticeable. I have posted about this issue as well and it's seems that it's the norm to hear the "whirl" of the iMac fan when the room is quiet. I would agree that it would be a better machine if it were completely silent, but is this possible? As far as hard drive noise, shouldn't there be a noise coming from the machine? A slight low "grinding" noise is what hard drives do, right? Mine does it, other computers I have been around do it. Now if it's super loud yeah you have a problem.

OP
D

Danimac

ofsomeone said:
"Virtually Silent"

What does this exactly mean? The iMac has a fan and you CAN hear it, it's not has loud has some other computers, but it's noticeable. I have posted about this issue as well and it's seems that it's the norm to hear the "whirl" of the iMac fan when the room is quiet. I would agree that it would be a better machine if it were completely silent, but is this possible? As far as hard drive noise, shouldn't there be a noise coming from the machine? A slight low "grinding" noise is what hard drives do, right? Mine does it, other computers I have been around do it. Now if it's super loud yeah you have a problem.

The fan whir I expect, but not the rythmic vibration or the constant HD "tick/tock". Well, now it won`t install Mac updates. The Disk Utility shows a HD fault that can`t be repaired so, after 2 weeks, it is about to go back into its box to be collected by the Apple Repair Center tomorrow. Not happy ..........

OP
D

Danimac

imstillatwork said:
your hard drive is toast! if it still works it won't for long.

What I feared - just switched and not happy; 4 Macs in the family and all have had to go bak under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.