Capture streaming audio from iTunes Radio...

Reaction score
Is there a way to capture the streaming audio from the iTunes radio broadcasts? Can this be done in Quicktime or Garageband? I have loaded a couple of freeware programs but they all seem to only recognize an "Input" not the streaming audio via iTunes.

Thanks!
Guvna:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
RadioLover does exactly what you're looking for.

If you wanted to capture everything that comes out of your sound card, WireTapPro or AudioHijack will work, but they don't cut the stream into individual MP3s the way RadioLover does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
The freeware stuff (I assume Audacity?) for some reason will not capture from the sound card on a Mac. Not sure why, but it doesn't. Audio HiJack will, and that's a good way to capture iTunes radio. The Windows version of Audacity will, and is quite effective. I've built quite a library using this method; you just need to make sure you aren't doing anything else on your Windows computer that will make it into the recording. (Fair Use; I don't share what I've captured.) Stream rippers can be detected and banned from the stream but Audio HiJack cannot.

While recording I note in a text file the artist, title, and album of what is being recorded (or more accurately, I wrote a script which goes and grabs it for me from their website while I'm recording the stream) for later tagging. You can use Audacity to extract the individual tracks and save them off to individual mp3s or AACs later.

Neither Audacity recording on Windows nor Audio HiJack recording on a Mac can be detected by the streaming station, but you have to do the work to tag each file later. I consider it a hobby of sorts. 128kbps streams are of sufficient quality for my ears, and burn CDs which are quite acceptable to listen to in the car. The encoded mp3s are also acceptible on the iPod.

To those who will decry this as 'stealing', this is no different from what we did back when recording broadcast radio onto 8-track tapes back in the '70s.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks...a couple more thoughts

...I have tried the Radio lover and while it works well, it includes the start of new songs on the end of the previous song file. Any thoughts on a fix for that?

I also tried their other program iRecordMusic...while that seemed to work for a stream other than iTunes, it never seemed to capture what I needed in full. It would begin recording and stop or shutdown recording at varying points and never completed a full recording of what I wanted to capture.

I will try out the audiohijack and see how that does.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The challenge with RadioLover and iRecordMusic is that many of the iTunes radio stations crossfade their songs, and the applications are dependent on when the stations send the new song title information.

RadioLover is fine for what I need-- if there's a song I want to keep in my library and the crossfading/missing parts bother me, I'll spend the money and buy the song.

Reaction score
found this thread very helpful... its 2011 and i dont know if u guys already know this, but the version of radiolover i downloaded allows u to set the file as a sinlge continous recording if there is no splitting info available from the stream. otherwise, by default it splits at 5 mbs. u will have to open the standard recording profile and make the changes in the "splitting" section.

C

chas_m

Audio Hijack Pro is a way better value for money. For straightforward (no frills) recording of radio streams, there's FStream (free).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.