Multimedia Center

Reaction score
I myself have just got an iMac however I have a mates father who is looking for a multimedia system originaly a few weeks ago I was going to build a Small form factor PC and load XP Media Center on it so it can be connected to his new 48" wide screen TFT TV.

He has a PC upstairs running XP Home and the idea was originally was to have the standard PC upstairs then when he has pictures, movies etc. on the pc upstairs then map a network drive to the External HDD downstairs connected through Wi-Fi to the SFF PC.

Then from downstairs he can see the movies, Pictures and MP3's however he does nto want any access to the compouter as a computer just an interface like XP Media edition.

However the question is if I go a iMac Mini dowstairs would this do the job, or would I be better going for a PC instead with XP Media Edition on it instead?

Also for the min i have seen the TVMax box from www.miglia.com would I need this also or is there no need for this.

What connections does the mac mini take?

Any suggestions would be greatly rec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I would use the Mini and hook that into his 48" screen.. Then, have a separate XP machine warehouse all of his media files, so that the Mini can access his media over the network.

Media Portal is slow and choppy.. I've been using it since the first beta was put out. It has come a long way, but it's not worth it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that I think I will go for the mini.

However the person that will be using it is not clued up how is the best way to have his movie mp3 and pictures stored.

I know I can store my MP3's on a external HDD can I get OSX to show the movies a and the pictures accross the external HDD as i thought you had to have movies and and pictures on the MAC hard drive?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
No I have all my itunes on the network. Thanks for the idea, I am looking for a mac mini now, for the same purpose.

OP
T
Reaction score
Whats about the movies though how can I get them onto an external HDD?

I thought they had to be in movies?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
In the movies folder?

No they don't. OS X is a very good and flexible system.

OP
T
Reaction score
So how do i tell it that the movies are in an external drive then.

And how do i tell it my pictures are on an external drive?

Reaction score
timboellis1, just put alias' to the movies/pictures folder on your ext HD onto your Mac Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.