Mail app acting funny after a while

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with 30" ACD, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD (more to come), Airport and Btooth EDR
Hi,

I've only been a MAC user for a few months now but I'm already converted and my Windows PC is never on these days.
I have OS X Panther (10.3.2) and am experiencing some strange behaviour with Mail application.
I have three IMAP accounts set up, all of them work perfectly but if i ctrl+click on any of the folders in the mailboxes sidebar, I often see blank entries in the list that pops up.
If I quit mail and then re open it then there are no empty items in the list, but as time goes by more nad more empty items in the list box begin to appear at the top, with a record of 30+ empty items after a few days meaning i have to scroll down the list through all the empty items until i get to "erase deleted messages" etc.
It's kind of hard to describe so I have attached a screen shot of what's happening where there are already 3 blank items at the top of the list, infact this has increased to four in the time i've been writing this.
I have always had this problem and thought it may go away when i did a fresh install on a new hard drive but it's still happening. It's nothing that I can't live with but a fix would be nice.
Am I the only one suffering from this?

Regards

Neil Cooper

mail bug.jpg

M

Mr.Curlynose1

Hm, try moving your Mail plist out of the ~/Library/Preferences folder. If that doesn't work, move it back.

OP
scoopz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr.Curlynose1 said:
Hm, try moving your Mail plist out of the ~/Library/Preferences folder. If that doesn't work, move it back.

Ok i've just moved the plist out and quit and restarted mail so it's asking me to set up new IMAP accounts. I'll leave it like this for a while without setting up any new accounts and see what happens. If it behaves itself then I shall add the IMAP accounts one at a time and see if I can pinpoint what's causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll find a solution soon.

Regards
Scoopz

OP
scoopz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope that didn't work. Not a single mail account set up but it still started generating blank list entries after 5 minutes. Starting to wander whether may be problem with my installation CD, nobody else i know has this problem. Is it possible to remove Mail completely and then download from somewhere and re-install fresh copy?
Regards
Scoopz

OP
scoopz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found out what makes it happen now.
If Mail app is open and click on the red circle in top right to close it (even though it still remains open on the dock), each time i re-launch the window from the dock it adds another blank entry to the list.
Right I've done my homework and found the cause, now can anybody help me find the solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.