• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Domain squatting

Reaction score
Serious question (sorry).

What are the rules (and US laws, if any) related to using a domain name that is another person's/company's registered trademark?

If I own Joe's Super Tire Emporium with domain name "joestires.com" and some squatter comes along and registers "joessupertireemporium.com" and uses it as a link to all the other tire emporiums on Earth, do I have any recourse?

If so -- and this is just hopeful thinking -- does this recourse involve pyrotechnics?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As far as I know, there aren't any laws against this.
This is why some companies buy up domains... so others can't. (Example: Apple buying the "iPhone" domain. It has nothing to do with Apple creating or making an "iPhone", they merely bought it so nobody else could and thereby they prevent confusion later on.)
Quite a few people bought up domain names in the early '90s. Companies like Johnson & Johnson, Proctor & Gamble, etc were all part of this if I recall correctly. The only recourse the company had was to buy the domain from the person who owned it, or they had to come up with a new name.
Basically, someone could have owned "www.ford.com" so Ford would then create "www.fordvehicles.com". Then the company would eventually buy the original domain and mirror it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There have been lawsuits in the US that have forced individuals who "Squat" domain names to give them up, either for free or for a "reasonable" price. I believe MS was involved with in some of this a few years back in connection with the X-Box, but I may be mistaken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I worked for a large international investment bank who had an entire sub-business for some of their clients where they would snap up domains to prevent others from grabbing them. You'd be amazed at who owns some of the domain names out there.

And no, there's no law against what you suggested. When you buy a domain, it's best to think of the other permutations of that name and buy them at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.