Mounting/Unmounting Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
I tried searching for this and didn't find anything, so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

I have a MacBook that I use with an external hard drive. I often mount and unmount the external drive without restarting my computer and I find it quite a hassle to have to open disk utility in order to mount it. The reason I mount and unmount is mainly because I don't want to wear out the drive. Is there some sort of script or program that I can use that would make this process easier?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you often mount and unmount then i would suggest simply leaving it mounted. the wear and tear of thermal expansion and spin-up/down are probably doing more damage than just leaving it connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Leaving it mounted is not going to "wear out" the drive. If you do need to mount/unmount often, the easiest way to re-mount it is simply unplug/plug back in the USB/FireWire cable that connects it. There is really no need to fire up Disk Utility.

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leaving it mounted is not going to "wear out" the drive. If you do need to mount/unmount often, the easiest way to re-mount it is simply unplug/plug back in the USB/FireWire cable that connects it. There is really no need to fire up Disk Utility.

Alright, well I thought there would be an easier way to do this without the hassle of having to either unplug/plug, leave it running or use disk utility. Thanks for the quick reply from both of you, although this isn't quite the answer I was looking for. In case anyone does know of another solution that will work for me, I'd love to give it a shot. Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Why aren't you just dragging it to the trash to unmount it. Or select it type type Comand-E to eject it. Once unmounted you just turn it off. When you turn it on, it should just mount it.

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why aren't you just dragging it to the trash to unmount it. Or select it type type Comand-E to eject it. Once unmounted you just turn it off. When you turn it on, it should just mount it.

I do use Command-E to unmount, but since my external drive doesn't have an on/off switch I can't just turn it on to have it mount. Not all external drives have on/off switches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Uh. So the port powers the drive. OK.

Check out this link first and then this link for posible solutions.

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I agree with eric and D3v1lB0y - leaving it mounted won't cause it to wear out any faster. The fact that it's mounted doesn't interfere with the drive's ability to spin down or go to sleep when it's not used. It will quite happily sit there with the disks stopped despite it being mounted.

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I gave both of those scripts a go, and I can't seem to get them to work properly. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.