dual g4 or single g5

C

CaptainStandish

I'm looking into purchasing a new machine. I currently own an imac and it just isn't optimized to do what i want to do on it. Im mostly concerned about editing video with final cut express and being able to play some games without having to worry about meeting minimum system requirements. I like how you can upgrade the video cards and such with the g4's and the g5's, and that is mainly why I am going to get rid of the iMac for a different setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
M

mebad

Given what you want to do with your next machine, you should definitely go with the G5. If you can afford it, then go for the 1.8 or 2.0 dually. If not, then I'd still recommend the single 1.6 or even better 1.8 over the G4. Like you say, video graphics cards can be upgraded and if you can afford to do that as time goes on, with a G5, you'll at least be working off a much newer technology.

The Dual G4 is a fine platform but it won't have the speed and agility a pro needs using FC. And with the G5's, it's gonna get old quickly.

And lastly, you should wait just a little while longer, if you can, because there are going to be some new G5 announcements soon which will make the older G5 product line more affordable.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

thanks for the heads up. How long do you think it will be before they make the new announcements? If it's only a couple of weeks then I'll definitally wait but if it's upwards of a few months (4 - 6) then I don't know if I can.

OP
C

Carolyn

G5 1.8 single processor is on sale now for 1,899.. Good price.. Only 100 bucks more than the 1.6..

Go to apple website and then to special deals.. towards bottom on left side of screen..

You can hold out and see if they get any more refurbished G5's in, you usually save around 500 when they do..

As far as what I have read on the boards.. The new G5 upgrads are not going to be coming up until summer.. So if you need one now, don't bother waiting..

I just bought a G5 and am LOVING it.. :)

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.