Suggestions to upgrade memory??

Reaction score
Hi there...I have a PpwerBook G4 (17"), 1.67GHZ, with 512 MB RAM installed. It is the "M9970LL" model...

I'd like to upgrade the memory from the existing 512MB to either 1GB or 1.5GB.

I've received a quote of around $100 for an additional 512 card, or $200 for an additional 1GB card...(all prices CDN!)

Would I be better off with just the upgrade to 1GB or would it be better to bite the bullet and buy the more expensive upgrade to 1.5GB? Will there be a significant difference or noticeable change in the two, or will I be just as happy running with 1GB total, from my current 512 MB.

I primarily use my PBook for word processing, not alot of graphics heavy stuff, although I'm getting into X-Plane a bit...

Thank you for your input!

Reaction score
Memory for PB

I have the 15" model of the 1.67ghz model. It came w/ 1gb ram so I don't know what 512 would be like. Are you experiencing stuttering in your game? The extra 512mb would probably make a big difference. Of course an extra gig would be even better, but if things are running pretty smoothly right now and you mostly use your PB for word processing and email, an extra gig might be overkill. It depends on what you have to spend I suppose. If the money isn't an issue, get more. Especially if you foresee any graphics/video work/play in your future.

I would think this is good advice, but I warn you--I have only had my PB for 5 days, and I'm coming from Windows and Linux environments. All I know for sure is -- more RAM good, less RAM bad. Oh, and I am very happy that my PB has a gigabyte! :)

Anybody else want to pitch in advice?

I heard Leo Laporte say that the only* place he gets memory for his mac is here: http://www.transintl.com/ . ((*if he needs it for the new macbooks he buys from Apple.))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your quotes seem high to me. The CND-US rate isn't that high so I think your quotes should be lower. I'd check www.macsales.com for the memory you need to get a feel for pricing.

You need to know if you Mac has 1 or 2 sticks of memory. Under the apple logo click on About this Mac. On the pop up window click on More Info... and finally in the Hardware listing click on Memory. This will tell you if your using both slots or only one.

For your use 1GB should be fine. I checked the requirements for X-Plane and it says 1GB for version 8. Persoally I'd buy the 1GB stick because you can never have too much memory. It gives your system some breathing room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.