Wow, Major slowdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
My PB has seemed sssssssssssslow down, really badly. it has 1.25 GBs of RAM, and its a 1.33 ghZ 12 inch model. I have run everything in System Optimizer X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 3.1, 2.2 GHz, 4 GB, 7200 RPM 200 GB HD
Same here.

Yesterday, my iMac G5 suffered a severe slowdown during the login process. My user icon also changed to default though I didn't change it, and Mail has become very slow and stopped working. :eek:neye: I have no idea why. I'm backing up everything now in the hopes that an erase and install will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
All sorts of things could have caused this.

I would start with Activity Monitor and see if there is a new process that is hogging CPU. If you can identify and kill such a process, you are well on your way to solving your problem.

Another major possibility is that you are out of hard drive space. You can check that via a simple Get Info on your Macintosh HD icon on your desktop.

Another possibility is internet connectivity. Does the problem go away if you physically unplug your network cable?

If these simple steps don't help identify a culprit, I would be guessing perhaps a portion of your RAM has failed. Can anyone on these forums suggest a good diagnostic tool that would exercise RAM and detect issues?

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a good 49 GB of storage left on it. But there's a process called TruBlueEnvironme thats taking up 1.19 GBs of Virtual memory. I am on AirPort(AirMac) wireless, and disconnecting from the network doesn't help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does Activity Monitor show to be your average CPU load? There must be a process hogging your CPU...

If not that, I am back to wondering if you are experiencing a partial RAM failure.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M

MacHeadCase

Log out out of your Mac OS X account then log back in. That should release the RAM again.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do this every day. I may be a n00b to the forum, but not a n00b to computers. This is quite basic tuff I've already tried. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iRye, if you go to your Applications folder, you will find an application called Activity Monitor. You can think of it as being analagous to the Windows Task Manager. If you start that, you should get a display of all the processes running on your machine. If you have a process hog running, you will see it; part of the display shows you the average CPU each process is using. Can you do this and report back to us? I am hoping you just have a bad piece of software in there...

By the way, I like your new iCon much better than the last one! Cheers!

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iRye, if you go to your Applications folder, you will find an application called Activity Monitor. You can think of it as being analagous to the Windows Task Manager. If you start that, you should get a display of all the processes running on your machine. If you have a process hog running, you will see it; part of the display shows you the average CPU each process is using. Can you do this and report back to us? I am hoping you just have a bad piece of software in there...

By the way, I like your new iCon much better than the last one! Cheers!

Lol, I have used this many times. I have been a mac user for a year, and I know quite a bit about Macs and their history. I have 2 macs. There isn't any memory hogs...

There isn't anything hogging the CPU. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are in a tough spot then. You have lots of disk, no CPU hogs, no RAM hogs and no change if you run disconnected from the internet. I would have to deduce some sort of hardware issue, and likely memory. I'm afraid I can't offer any even vaguely useful pointers in this area. We need to identify a good diagnostic package for Macs. Anyone?

Short of that, it may be time for a trip to the nearest Apple store to have an Apple pro look at it.

Sorry I couldn't help further! Good luck.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running TechTool as we speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Do you connect to any servers. I've had trouble in the past where my would would try to connect to a server that was down or it couldn't get to otherwise. This cause weird slow downs. I turned on the server to fix it. A restart I think just tries connecting again. Sorry I can't be of much help beyond this, as I can't remember other solutions.

To see if this is happening, you need want to see what the Console app is telling you. Start that from the Utilities folder. I believe mine said something about a failed NFS connection.

Reaction score
Do you have another user account on your problem Mac that you can use for a while to check to see if your PB still lags.

Do you know the Parent Process of TrueBlueEnvironment..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
So this is what we have so far--

The problem:
Out of nowhere, your computer has become very slow.

What has been done so far and doesn't work:
Used the Activity Monitor console and didn't see anything unusal
You have plenty of hard drive space
The Internet has nothing to do with the issue

....with that all said, I would first force your maintenance tasks to run. This will get rid of old logs, temporary files, etc. This helped me out when my system began to lag. If you don't know how to do this already...

-Open Terminal
-Type: sudo periodic daily
-It will then ask for your password (if your logged in as an admin)
-NOTE: It may take a while and not return anything so just wait until
ya get dumped back to the prompted
-Do the same thing except change daily to weekly
-After that runs change weekly to monthly

After this is all said and done, reboot see if your system runs any smoother. If not do a defrag. Its been said that iDefrag is supposed to be the best so you might wanna try that -- http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

Also, it seems that if there is alot of clutter on your desktop that will slow down your system considerably so if you have anything there get rid of it or move it elsewhere.

btw...have you installed anything recently or was this whole thing just random? Good luck! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What programs that are open are not Universal and running through Rosetta?

M

MacHeadCase

It's a PowerBook, so Rosetta isn't involved in this, Alexis.

iRye try what others have suggested so far. Be methodical, something in there might work. If you have tried everything and nothing seems to work, I have a few things you can try and then I'm outta ideas if this isn't doing anything...

Ok, First try running Apple's Hardware Test in Extended Mode. Restart from the CD/DVD Hardware Test in the optical drive.

If that doesn't work, try Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

If that doesn't work, try Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU).

If that doesn't work, unplug the PB from the electrical outlet if it's charging and take out the battery, PowerBook G4, PowerBook G4 (17-inch,) MacBook Pro: How to Remove or Install the Battery. Wait about 10 minutes then replace the battery.

If that doesn't work well I dunno what there is to do anymore. Good luck with this and I hope something will work in all the members' suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.