Need DVD-RW Recommendation for a G4

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I have a G4 1.25 MHz 700MB+ RAM that only has a CD-RW in it. I want to get a DVD-RW to add to it, and I was hoping I could get some recommendations. I only found one listed in the Mac Store, and it was over $150. I'm hoping to stay under $100 before shipping.

Also, I've never put hardware in a Mac before. I've done it for PCs, but if there's anything different I should know about, a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Hello everyone...

I have a G4 1.25 MHz 700MB+ RAM that only has a CD-RW in it. I want to get a DVD-RW to add to it, and I was hoping I could get some recommendations. I only found one listed in the Mac Store, and it was over $150. I'm hoping to stay under $100 before shipping.

Also, I've never put hardware in a Mac before. I've done it for PCs, but if there's anything different I should know about, a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

One thing you'll notice when you take apart a desktop macintosh: They have a much cleaner inside than POS PCs. :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Most standard IDE optical drives will work with your PowerMac. I put an LG 4163B DL Superdrive in my G4 Sawtooth.

I dug this instructional manual up to help you with your drive, providing it's a G4 MDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Thanks. So are you saying that I can buy any IDE optical drive and it will work for both a PC and a Mac?

It should work no problem.. The DVD burner I put in mine is about 3 years old and it works. I'm not too particular if Macs are that picky or not, as I have 3 different hard drives in my G4. I would say yes, go get a cheap $40 internal DVD-RW drive from Best Buy and plop it in. If it doesn't work, take it back.

Also, check out MacSales' CD/DVD section of their website.

OP
J
Reaction score
It should work no problem.. The DVD burner I put in mine is about 3 years old and it works. I'm not too particular if Macs are that picky or not, as I have 3 different hard drives in my G4. I would say yes, go get a cheap $40 internal DVD-RW drive from Best Buy and plop it in. If it doesn't work, take it back.

Also, check out MacSales' CD/DVD section of their website.
Awesome... Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I picked up 2 of these for my Quicksilvers. Both work perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
No problem! Glad to help.

@ cakey.. I love your avatar!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.