Safari, blocking

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new Mac user, and I am now using Mac OS X.

I have a question concerning "Finder".
Sometimes, Finder gets blocked doing some operation,
and then I cannot use or open any other Finder window.

This is very annoying.
Is that normal? Is there a way to solve this?

For instance, try to copy a file to a remote SMB server,
and broke the network connection somehow
(remove ethernet cable, or the wifi connection).

While it is clear that the low quality of a remote SMB server or network
is not a problem of MacOsX itself,
it is not acceptable that, because of this problem, Finder gets blocked on all the other Finder windows.

Regards,
DAvid

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, David.

It would help us if you told us which Mac OS X version you are using (by that I don't mean Tiger, I mean 10.4.7 for example), tell us what Mac model you have and its specs (RAM, CPU, etc.), what is your computer set-up (network).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
This is a known issue with OS X and Samba. If you are trying to access a network resource and that resource somehow becomes unavailable, Finder will freeze until the OS releases the resource. Eventually, Finder will clear itself-- you just need to wait.

There may be a way of tweaking the timeout so the wait isn't so long, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

OP
D
Reaction score
MacHeadCase: Here are the details you are asking.
Code:
  Processor: 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  Memory: 2 Go 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8N1037)
  Kernel Version: Darwin 8.8.2

caribiner23: thanks for the info. "This is a known issue with OS X and Samba".
Is there a website, such as bugzilla, where you can track the known issues about MacOS X?
After two hours waiting, I decided to reboot the computer, but I needed to manually kill the process before MacOsX actually rebooted. Setting a smaller timeout is not a good solution. It should just not freeze all the other windows. Is Mac OS X open source? Otherwise, are there "patches" from independent people? if so, how to search for them (which keyword in google)?

Regards,
DAvid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
It sounds like there may be more going on than just the timeout.

I've never seen my Macs hang for more than 5 minutes when a mounted resource disappears, and typically it's only the application that's trying to access the mounted resource that freezes. If, for example, I'm accessing a file on my network through the Finder and simultaneously editing a Photoshop document locally on my Mac and the network resource vanishes, Finder will freeze but Photoshop will not.

Exactly what is the operation you're performing?

There aren't any sites that offer bug tracking or patches that I know of (beyond Apple) but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.