Sound Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Does the Mac Pro come with a PCI sound card or build in sound card on the motherboard?

Reason i ask is that i have a 5.1 altec lensing dolby digital surround sound system with three inputs (green, yellow, black) that i wish to use on my mac. Does it come with a sound card? will i be able to plug my sound system into the mac or will i need to buy a mac compatable 5.1 surround sound card?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
It comes with integrated audio, no card. Out of the box, it has audio in/out and optical in/out. There are many options for sound cards though. Seems weird that you par $2500 for a computer without an upgraded sound card, and that it's not even an option to upgrade to on through Apple.

M

MacHeadCase

Joe, I dunno if these can help you or not but this is something I've kept in my bookmarks for a while and I pop in there once in a while to see where they're at, CenterStage - The Mac Media Center Project.

They have a special section on audio cards: not that you need to order one of those devices from them but it does give you an idea of what is out there. I read here and there that people more or less happy with the M-Audio Revolution cards. And you would have to be sure that there are no compatibility issues with the Mac Pro on top of that...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
thanks for your help guys. Its suddenly accored me after paying £2000 for a new Mac Pro there was no option for a sound card, seems strange they dont offer an option for this with Macs being so popular in the music industry?

Can anyone tell me how many inputs and outputs there are for sound on the mac and what colour/type they are?

Ive found the M-Audio Revolution cards for sale here in the UK, but i have always been a fan of creative labs sound cards, however im not sure if they are mac compatable. I guess this is something i will have to look into!

thanks again

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i got my mac today (even tho it dont work) i need to get a sound card for my surround sound system to work. What other cards are mac compatable? anyone know? Ideally i would like a creative labs

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.