Some programs all of the sudden stopped opening

Reaction score
My programs recently stopped opening up. Specifically Office and Limewire. I uninstalled them now the install files wont even load so i can reinstall them. I click on he icon and nothing happens. Any Ideas??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried repairing permissions, in some cases that resolves the problem?

Application -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select your system disk and click on repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iMac, G5 iMac, Mac Mini C2D
It'd be good to list some of your tech details: Mac Model, cpu processor, OS Version, Memory installed -- most of these will show up from the 'About This Mac' Apple menu choice, as well as any Recent changes you made. These help in debugging.

That said, if you have recently applied the latest 2 Security patches from Apple OS X, some have reported problems with several applications not working, including the MS Office apps. I read the details in the MacFixIt online tech site. So a recent Apple Security update may be part of the issue. Or not, as others report no problems with Security Updates.
Just another thought.

Other general fixes include: removing/deleting the older preference files (either xxxxxx.plist or xxxxxx.pref or similar) from the Preferences folder. Doing this sometimes allows clean reinstalls. THough it also usually means having to re-enter the serial numbers.

Also, re. Limewire - has a number of invisible items in their preferences folder. So best way to reinstall it is to delete everything that says "limewire" from your boot volume which means the Limewire application and its Limewire folder, the Limewire preference files including the Limewire folder inside Preferences Folder, as well as remove the Limewire.pkg file from the Library/Receipts folder.

A Find-everything tool like the free EasyFind can help locate those things. Or one of the several Application remover tools -- AppZapper (I have this one), CleanApp (I know of this one, not used though), etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
try deleting your cache files and forcing your maintainence scrips to run for weekly daily and monthly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.