Why do I need an FTP program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm using DW. why can't I just "put"? it's worked ok so far. I'm just beginning here and have yet to finish my first site yet. Will this be a problem down the road with bigger or more complex sites?

Reaction score
I use Fetch (FTP) to clear stuff from the server, that's the only useage as my ISP gives me 20mb free webspace and I use it for my small website.

M

MacHeadCase

An FTP program helps you upload images that could be in your webpages to a server.

The FTP app I use is Cyberduck and, apart from the cool ducky icon, it works very well and is pretty easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I grew up as a UNIX geek, so my innate preference is for command line FTP'ing.

That said, a program like Cyberduck makes copying multiple files insanely easy.

If, for example, I want to upload a new podcast episode and two associated image files, I can just fire up Cyberduck, drag the files to the window representing my remote host, and walk away while it does its thing: much more user-friendly than doing an mput and having to be there when each file is done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm using DW. why can't I just "put"? it's worked ok so far. I'm just beginning here and have yet to finish my first site yet. Will this be a problem down the road with bigger or more complex sites?

You don't "need" an FTP program. Using the "put" feature from DW is simply FTP (more or less). Having a separate FTP application is smart though, as it will offer a "backup" method in times where the Site Manager from DW just won't work for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Black - 2GB Ram 120 GB Space C2D
Hi,
If you need a really good FTP and you are running OS X i recommend Yummy FTP its pretty fast and simple, has a drag and drop technique and does it all in a small amount of time. Def. recommended!

Regards,
Bainzey

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
You can ftp files to a server without the need for ftp software just by opening the console window and running ftp.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I can just "put" in DW, then, sorry don't mean to be dense here, but why not keep doing that? It seems very easy, pretty much one click and it works away. Is that b/c my site is so small and simple at this point? Will it become impossible for bigger sites?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
You're using Dreamweaver's builtin FTP client that's all. If it works for you, stay with it.

A lot of web developers prefer to hand code in a text editor (myself included) and so will use a seperate FTP client like the fantastic Cyberduck or do it through the shell. Some text editors like TextWrangler have FTP clients built in (I find running TextWrangler and Cyberduck together works best as Cyberduck has more features on the FTP front).

Dreamweaver will work fine for sites of all sizes.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay I think I get it. Especially now that my site is on the Mac - I can't load anything. It's making me nuts!!!!!! apparently dw likes windows better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
What do you mean you can't load it? FTP is FTP whatever platform you're on.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean you can't load it? FTP is FTP whatever platform you're on.

When I put, it looks likes it's sending the files, but when I go to the site, nothing has changed. I started another thread about this. I got it to go once. And have since downloaded CD, but I can't get the changes thru in CD either. Don't know how I did it once but can't do it again. Pretty annoying. *sigh*.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.