Organizing Music

Reaction score
I was just curious how everyone organizes their music on their hard drive as well as using itunes. Im new to mac so Im not sure exactly how I should do it. On my pc I liked to organize my music by genre...so Id have different folders on my hard drive for each genre with the songs in each. Id like to do this on my mac but Im not sure if I should considering how itunes organizes everything and since there are other things in the itunes folder such as album art, etc. Any help on the would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
I'm a one folder, big mess type of guy

Reaction score
I let iTunes store my music in it's own Music Library folder, by Artist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My folder/file structure matches iTunes, although I do not let iTunes manage it for me.

Genre/Artist/Album/Song is what I used from the beginning (before iTunes) and I've never changed it.

The tricky part is Movies and TV shows. My TV Shows are sort of limbo, but my movies are a bit more mature in their organization. The only issue is that iTunes doesn't allow for categorization along with genre. A Movies genre is Movies, it's category would be "Drama" or "Comedy" and so on. There is a hole in iTunes in this regard.

Everything is spread across multiple (6 to be exact) hard drives too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.