mac=***

V

Violence

Meh, this is my second time writing this, and not by choice. :)

Yeah well...I'm a Windows user and have been thinking of been switching for a little while now. A few friends of mine use macs, and after taking OSX for a spin I was hooked. I've decided I'm switching, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. I've been dreaming about the 17" iMac (1.25 Ghz). It looks great (like all apple products) and is within my price range. There are some questions looking for answers tho..There has been speculation about G5 iMacs and I was wondering about the future. If I were to purchase the iMac, would I be missing out greatly by not getting a G5 ? People say, "It all dpeneds on what you want out of your computer". Well I use my computer for a lots of things, mainly being that of the internet, but I do do things like web design, and use prgrams like Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't really work with movies, but, with the option there, I'm sure I'll be checking it out.

Getting a Dual G5 tower is beyong me at the moment, because of the price. I'm only 15 and my income is no defeat, it would take me a few months before I could get an iMac.. A G5 Tower is beyond me because of lack of funds, I guess I jsut really want to know your opinion and guidence. The main thing I want to know is G4 or G5. G5 is supposed to be for pros, well yeah, I'm not a pro, I'm not running huge files and big applications, but I'm no soccer mom either... I'll still be having a PC for hardware and learning. Anyway whatever, I'll stop talking now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yikes wayta make a simple question or statement annoying. I will fix your text size for the benifit of others.

But i suggest a G4 tower (they are quicker than you think and with alot of RAM blow you away) Get any mac with alot of RAM. eMac I feel is best deal. (course I got an iMac for looks)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I agree with Graphite on this one...heck, for just about the same cost as a new 17" iMac, you could get a new dual 1.25 G4 tower. If you are concerned about cost, there are a ton of online sites that sell used Macs which would certainly fit the bill and would still be plenty useful in the coming years.

OP
V

Violence

Well yeah, I could get a dual G4, altho with the display is just a little bit out of my price range..

Yeah so, with only 1.25 Ghz, any chance of the iMac being replaced ? Because I'd hate to buy a whole new computer, then find out there is a more powerful one just released..and then I'll be forced to upgrade... :rolleyes:

Yeah and about online sites, I'm from Australia so most sites don't support here..

OP
S

shadov

I'd like to point out one thing about iMac. It has an expensive monitor permanently attached to the rest of the box. That means, when you replace the tower, you have to get new monitor too. And vice versa.

OP
N

newtomacs

the only reason i don't like Imacs is having no tower. it is just the computer inside the monitor, also The sound isn't the best thats out there but for what your wanting to do with it, it sounds like it will work... OF course you could always play lets make a deal with your parents that is you buy the tower and they buy the monitor for a new G5!

OP
V

Violence

haha, my parents don't buy me anything..Since I have a job, I have to get it myself..

EDIT:
Is anyone else here from Australia ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there will be mac updates and mac price drops (100$ atleast) around summer.. july august area. order after that point.

OP
V

Violence

Umm, just wondering, I don't really understand the Airport..So can I get Airport Extreme cards for PC ?

OP
V

Violence

I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

• 1.6GHz PowerPC G5
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
• 80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• 4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
• Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
• Apple Studio Display 17" Flat Panel

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>

OP
C

Chamorro

Violence said:
I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

• 1.6GHz PowerPC G5
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
• 80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• 4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>

Probably not a G6, but by then you'll be able to get a better computer.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Yeah..by then the g5 price will be lower...we won't see a g6 for another 2 years probably...apple usually makes a completely new chip every three years...but they continueally (spelling?) upgrade the current ones....

OP
V

Violence

How much of a price drop will there be ?

Also with the new Power Macs, are the displayes upgraded ? Will I still be able to use my one that I get ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 1.6 isnt worth the G5 price. 1.25 G4 with more RAM would be faster.

also wait to buy it until the updates.

OP
N

newtomacs

i think they already have a G5 single 1.6 GHZ with panther installed out for the same price as a regular 1.6GHZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
they first released G5's in august and upgraded the processors a few months later (december I think)

OP
V

Violence

• Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
• 160GB Serial ATA
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Subtotal A$ 5,643.00

Worth it ? I don't really want to go all the way to 2GHZ because it's 1000$ more..
Oh yeah and I'll upgrade the graphics card, and ram and all that later..

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
That sound good V! Of course, to save like 200 dollars you could take off the Superdrive. The Superdrive burns DVD's, and CD's, the combo drive only burns CD's. Of course, you want to wait until new G5's and monitors come out. Then buy.
Hit me on AIM later on boi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.