I think my neighbor is leeching off my LINKSYS WIRELESS! argh!

Reaction score
long story short, i think hes using it..

how do i make it so that only people in my household are able to get onto this wireless signal?

i have a linksys i went on their website and it seems liek its largely catered to windows xp users and it was of no help

i just need a simple way to do it someone pls help thanks :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
type in your browswer : 192.168.1.1 and in the settings enable wep encryption and create a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
You can login to the router and setup WEP or WPA security, just make sure you really understand the procedure on your router or else you will lock out everyone including your own computer. Some linksys routers have a web-based setup section and putting in 192.168.2.1 will get you to those screens. Others require you to use the accompanying CD that came with the router. I have both kinds at the school where I manage the network. You can also use that web interface to see who is logged on and using your router. Read the manual or go to the linksys website and see the exact procedures for WEP or WPA security setup for your particular model.

OP
M
Reaction score
type in your browswer : 192.168.1.1 and in the settings enable wep encryption and create a password.

ok, i created a password....and now what?

im a bit confused as to how this works because when i try to use my other macbook to get onto the network it doesnt ask me for a password so essentially the password doesnt really do anything??

it is only useful when i want to go on 192.168.1.1 ...

ahh help im so not tech saavy lol

OP
M
Reaction score
You can login to the router and setup WEP or WPA security, just make sure you really understand the procedure on your router or else you will lock out everyone including your own computer. Some linksys routers have a web-based setup section and putting in 192.168.2.1 will get you to those screens. Others require you to use the accompanying CD that came with the router. I have both kinds at the school where I manage the network. You can also use that web interface to see who is logged on and using your router. Read the manual or go to the linksys website and see the exact procedures for WEP or WPA security setup for your particular model.

the cd that came with my router is only compatible with windows xp..
i emailed customer rep as to what i can do and they are not replying...

im on 192.168.1.1 but i cant see who is logged on using my router? where can i see that info?

thanks for ur help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Hello, you need to set a password (security key) up. What I think you set was the routers password.

Anyway log back into your router 192.168.1.1 and go to this area (image attached). Once there click on the tab just to the right wireless security. Choose WPA and then type in a password and save.

Remember that once set you will have to configure your computer with the key to log into your network.

Good luck :)

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you created an admin password to be able to get into the router settings, which is good so that someone who might be sponging off you can't get in and grant themselves access; however, you must also go into the security settings of the wireless section and enable WEP or WPA and give that another key or password depending on which of the two you choose. WPA is very secure but not as easily configured on your mac itself, whereas WEP is easy to come up with a 10 digit numeric key (64 bit) but can be circumvented if your neighbor has a sniffer program. We use 64 bit WEP at school since it is compatible with every type hardware we have (even older types). I first setup WPA here at home, but remembered my iPaq PPC and one of my old IBM Wifi cards didn't support it so I swithced to WEP and haven't had anyone sneak in. The monitoring section is under the section showing current DHCP leases.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sounds like you created an admin password to be able to get into the router settings, which is good so that someone who might be sponging off you can't get in and grant themselves access; however, you must also go into the security settings of the wireless section and enable WEP or WPA and give that another key or password depending on which of the two you choose. WPA is very secure but not as easily configured on your mac itself, whereas WEP is easy to come up with a 10 digit numeric key (64 bit) but can be circumvented if your neighbor has a sniffer program. We use 64 bit WEP at school since it is compatible with every type hardware we have (even older types). I first setup WPA here at home, but remembered my iPaq PPC and one of my old IBM Wifi cards didn't support it so I swithced to WEP and haven't had anyone sneak in. The monitoring section is under the section showing current DHCP leases.

Ok i totally did EXACTLY what the website told me to and it locked me out of my own internet connection! then i had to reset my router and luckily that reset the password to default

ugh i totaly dont know what to do anymore :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you set it up, you have to go into your own Mac airport settings on your mac and turn on that security. Essentially you click the airport signal at top of the bar up by the clock/speaker, choose your router from the list, and use the drop-down to pick the security type and enter the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
dont give up you have done more complicated things than needed. just go through the instructions slowly.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Linksys router have good security controls once logged in to the router.

As already mentioned you should setup WEP or WPA security, (WEP is crackable within hours WPA is not).

Next thing you might want to do is restrict access to your router by MAC address - basically every computer has a MAC address, so you can identify the MAC address of your computer, key that in to the router's security section on "restrict access to".

But do setup WEP or WPA security because it IS possible to spoof a MAC address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.