• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast, Popcorn, MTR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video
I'm interested in backing up my DVD library and having been reading the dicussions about using MacTheRipper with Toast or Popcorn. Some people seem to be swearing by Toast and others by Popcorn. My question is if all I am interested in is backing up my DVDs does it make sense to spend the extra money for Toast? Are there any differences in picture quality between the two?? I plan on using double layer DVDs if that makes a difference also. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I'm interested in backing up my DVD library and having been reading the dicussions about using MacTheRipper with Toast or Popcorn. Some people seem to be swearing by Toast and others by Popcorn. My question is if all I am interested in is backing up my DVDs does it make sense to spend the extra money for Toast? Are there any differences in picture quality between the two?? I plan on using double layer DVDs if that makes a difference also. Thanks

Have you thought about looking into a free app to rip your dvd's? I use handbrake and it works really well. I have only come across one CD it would not burn.. I have burnt over 50 dvd's with handbrake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
MacTheRipper will take your DVD material to your hard drive. You'll need this as the first step.

Popcorn and Toast compress and write the DVD material to an actual DVD that you can play in your DVD player. This is the second step.

Both Popcorn and Toast are made by Roxio.

All that said, Popcorn is a subset of Toast: if you get Toast, you have the Popcorn functionality. Toast simply gives you more features, Popcorn has fewer features and costs less. There's no difference in the quality of product either software produces.

Hope this helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would suggest you try out Mack the Ripper before you even worry about purchasing burning software. MTR would not touch the first 5 discs
I tried. Oh, it spends the 45 minutes to an hour to rip them, and only after ripping does it tell you there is an error.
Many of the studios are adding a new scheme to their DVD's which causes MTR to give you a bad block error. At this time in OS X, there is no work around. The developer of MTR is working on a version 3.0 which may handle this.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If the disk are copy protected then you will get the error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've only run into this problem once. I guess I don't watch a lot of really popular DVDs. :)

As for ripping time, I've found that MacTheRipper can do a standard 4 GB DVD movie in under 30 minutes on my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
yeah, i just use handbreak and convert my DVD's to MPEG videos and burn them onto either a CD or a DVD... works great for me, although most dvd players cannot play these type of disks. mine does haha

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But DVD players will be able to play Toast or Popcorn burned DVDs??

Reaction score
Someone might be able to help me out here, i've used DVD Backup and dvd2onex 1.3.1 (i think) for a few years with no probs, but now that i've upgraded my G4 to OSX 10.4.5 so it's inline with my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.4.6) i can't get dvd20nex or DVD Backup to work on either machine, i've now started using Mac the Ripper, which has fixed the first part of the problem, but serial i have for the old version of dvd2onex wont work for the new version i found (dvd2onex2), so can i just use Toast Titanium (7.0) which i already have or do i need Popcorn, which i can't find?

Thanks.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this was already said, but Popcorn is just of subset of the Toast program . Toast Titanium has "Popcorn" included essentially. It functions the same way, just has more bells and whistles from the sounds of it.

Reaction score
how do you compress dvd's in Toast 7? In Popcorn it;s easy and doees it for you, but I can't seem to find the compress option in toast - it doesn't seem to be in the menu? also do you burn the dvd as a data disc or dvd-rom?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
From what I can see, Toast automatically compresses if it needs to before the burn process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.