Doesn't recognize CDRW Disks

N

natey

Hi, I'm New. yeah, Yeah, I switched on Friday. :)

Anyway, my mac has been working so far, except I can't get this CDRW thing to work.

I bought some new CDRW because I thought that I'd be a good idea; So I can transfer text files, etc, from my PC, and just for plain saving things. I put the new disk (Memorex CDRW) into my drive. I wait. Nothing.

I have a superdrive, I double checked, and it should read these disks, right? I went into the disk utility thing, it wont let me do anything to the disk. I don't even know if it's recognizing the disk.

So, what do I do? How does this CDRW thingy work.

I also tried networking my PC and Mac, but it didn't work. Probably because I didn't know what I was doing. LOL.

DVD's work. So does my lyra (RCA). Ok, ok, I don't have iTunes -- I have Lyra Tunes. Hey, I got what I got.

My wireless connection works. I'm using the Dlink Air Extream base. It's not the airport base, but then again, it's about $250 cheaper, and most importantly, it works (and it's the same speed rating: 800.11g, or what ever it's called.) If you deside to use a non-apple wireless router, be aware that not all are 100% compatable with mac, I saw one brand that wasn't. Look at the box.

As for my CDRWs, the box said nothing about being compatable with anything. It just said it works in CDRW drives -- except mine, of course.

I was, however, able to use the earse function in the disk utility program, except it didn't seem to do much. I can't change the name of the drive, nor could I reformat it. I tried it in toast -- toast doesn't even see the disk!

Anyway...I'm rambling now. But if anyone can give me some tips, that'll be helpful. I was expecting, honestly, the disk to just show up on my desktop (like the Lyra MP3-player and DVD does).

--nate :)

My configs:

Powermac G4 @ 1 Ghz x 15" with Panther (updated), 768 Ram, Combodrive, Airport and bluetooth cards inside. I got it Friday, new. Expencive little thing. I think I've spent $3500 Canadian on this computer so far...

Oh I have MS Word on here too -- just to be sure, word flies on the Mac can be used on the PC, right? And vice versa? I'd need to know, so I can crossplatform (be compatable) with others.

PS I know I can use a CDR -- er, I think anyway, I haven't tried it yet. I think it'd be waste to use so many CDRs...I'm usually saving/backing up text files. Some pictures, things like that. The small and simple things in life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
combo drive has some problens recognizing memorex discs.
i had the same problem with combo. you can hear disc spin but it wont mount on desktop

OP
N

natey

MAC-simus said:
combo drive has some problens recognizing memorex discs.
i had the same problem with combo. you can hear disc spin but it wont mount on desktop

So, is there a solution? Or are there CDRW disks that anyone could recommend, instead?

I've already taken these disks out of the package, so I can't return them; It'd be nice if anyone knew how to mount the disk manually.

thnx,

--nate :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

umm....it should work...call apple......I actually have yet to try memmorex discs on my mac....but they're good discs...so I dont' see why they wouldn't work....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
memorex discs have problems with combodrive. i do not know the solution. superdrive can read and write without any problems on them but combo cant.
try discs from platinum, or sdk, sony, they worked fine with combo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.